Options

are there physically demanding jobs in it?

Sora1234Sora1234 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I do not like desk jobs. are there jobs where you do stuff like physical network installation.

What certs would you need for such jobs?

Comments

• Options
    Sora1234Sora1234 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read there are telecommunications tech jobs in a thread. What certs do you need for that.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure, get a degree in electrical engineering and work on installing cables.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The occupation you are looking for is called electrician.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Sora1234 wrote: »
    I read there are telecommunications tech jobs in a thread. What certs do you need for that.

If you have no certifications at the moment and no experience start by looking for jobs that want you to run inside wire. There is a certification for it but most places just need a reliable drug free person who can distinguish colors. They will emphasize clean work. You will find a lot of ex military people in these jobs because they are well trained on how to construct clean wire closets. From there you are going to want a networking certification and depending on what type of equipment you are working on vendor certifications. Mitel, Cisco, Avaya. The people you are working for will lead the way. Take advantage of what they offer.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can set up network racks, wire server racks and wire cat. 5 and fiber in buildings. This is more of an electrician or installation tech company job. The problem with these types of jobs, it's either feast or famine, either your super busy there no time to take days off, or you haven't worked for weeks or months. I used to be the hardware tech in one of previous positions, I used to setup up the network racks, server racks, fix the Point of Sale equipment. The problem was equipment was becoming so reliable they I had no work to do all day. They allowed me to transition into a Server Admin role, but I heard the hardware guy at another site was let go. Trust me knowledge based jobs are far more secure, if you sit at your desk all day, just get a gym membership to keep active.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    Low voltage technician/electrician is what you're looking for. They install anything from expensive stereo equipment (like at the movie theatres) to security cameras to running cable for routers. They have their own certs as well. Don't know what they are you'd have to look it up. But the key word is "low voltage."

If you specialize enough in it and get enough advance certs I do believe you can make a fairly good living and be in demand. There are basic roles to advance roles just like helpdesk to sr. server admin. This is based off knowledge I researched awhile ago though, so do your own research.

Its just like with IT. Technology changes. It used to be you could make a lot of money installing security cameras, not anymore. So you'd have to find where the money is and specialize.

Shoot, I once had a friend (years and years ago) who had his own low voltage cabling company. He barely worked and was something of a millionaire. But that had more to do with him being an amazing businessman. He started in construction. His first job was running wires for housing development.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Datacenter technician is what you're probably after at a big company (Google/MS/Facebook/Amazon). Rack and stack all day.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity