Options

My boss not promoting me

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
...I'm actually 50-50 on how to recify my current situation. I had lost my job then got into a helpdesk position while certified as a CCNP.

I've been there for a year now however when I ask to be put in the network infrastructure team my boss says I need more networking experience. True, all I have is 10 years of helpdesk /call center experience but how else do you get networking experience on routerse if they don't give you a chance? Well most people here say I should not be working at the helpdesk but it's because I asked many times but my boss will not promote me. Is there something specific I should be doing or saying to get the promotion?

** note that my boss has no college and just an A+ certain with a 2yrs of management experience.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you make a similar thread on this recently? I just remember this sounding familiar...

Anyway, with a CCNP and CCIE-W, I'd just bounce and go somewhere else. If he doesn't want you on their network team and you've invested all of that time into studying and labbing then there probably isn't much more you can do to convince him. Look for a NOC job or a junior network admin position.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I concur, it's time to find a position with another company, don't waste your time with people who do not see value in you.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree. Find a place that will give you a chance. 10 years is a long time to be in helpdesk.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look for a Cisco Partner. You have an IE in Wireless? Look for a job with Cisco.
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shoot your resume out to different companies. I bet there will be alot of companies looking for someone who is CCNP certified.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think we all gave you the same advice last time. Too long in helpdesk, look elsewhere.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Mow wrote: »
    Look for a Cisco Partner. You have an IE in Wireless? Look for a job with Cisco.

According to his profile, he's working on CCIE written and a Bachelor's
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hahaha, I thought it was CCIE Wireless. Ugh, I need booze today.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is a classic example of why you have to switch companies sometimes. Now some companies will allow you to grow and move up if you prove yourself in your current position. Other companies no matter how well you are doing in your current positions won't allow you to move up. If you were hired as a help desk guy that's all they will ever see you as. They will never see you as a network engineer. That's just how it go. In that case all you can do is leave. Those are the worst companies to work for. The best companies will allow you to advance if you prove yourself.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jump ship and don't look back. It is a ton of hands on experience to get a CCNP. You're probably more qualified than the people on the network team.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I agree with others, start applying for network specific roles at other companies and when you get an acrept able offer leave.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Honestly I think the "experience" reason sounds more like his way of telling you he just doesn't think you'd be a good fit for networking. I agree with the sentiment of just moving on from the position. No point working somewhere where you aren't advancing your career
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    I concur, it's time to find a position with another company, don't waste your time with people who do not see value in you.

This.

CCNP should be wayyyyy above Help Desk level. If your company doesnt see that then just put your resume out there for Jr Network Engineer/ect.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Put your two weeks in and live on your emergency fund . You need to take the jump and get out of there. 24 months from now you will be happy you left
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put your resume out there. Employers and recruiters love to hire someone who is currently working.

Check your salary against others in your area with site like Glassdoor or Salary.com and such to see what your worth and ask for that with a new employer.

Remember, you owe nothing to your employer. They will turn against you based on some beancounter's whim. Corporations these days do not develop the relationship and support from their employees anymore.

If your job is turning into a dead end. It's time to leave before you become that miserable guy who rants about how the workplace sucks, but never leaves.

Now is the time!

there is a huge demand for people with your experience, skills and certifications.

GO OUT THERE AND GRAB THAT BRASS RING!!!

WHO'S WITH ME!!!
    HOOWAH!!!!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    Put your two weeks in and live on your emergency fund . You need to take the jump and get out of there. 24 months from now you will be happy you left

Always find a job first unless your current one is so toxic it's painful. If your next interview asks why you left a job without another lined up you don't want to say, "I'm too good for them".

Source, I interviewed a guy months ago who said that exact same thing, haha. Really though, always better to job hunt when you have a job.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    egrizzly wrote: »
    ...I'm actually 50-50 on how to recify my current situation.
    So, just curious....what choices are you currently considering to rectify your situation?

all I have is 10 years of helpdesk /call center experience but how else do you get networking experience on routerse if they don't give you a chance?
    Solution:
    Create a slim-downed version of your resume - Drop off the CCNP, replace it with CCNA. -Start applying for NOC/Jr-network positions.
    Land a new gig - Get some real exp - Then put the CCNP back ON your resume.
    (I think you see where i'm going)

...most people here say I should not be working at the helpdesk but it's because I asked many times but my boss will not promote me. Is there something specific I should be doing or saying to get the promotion?

Did you ever hear the story about the dish washer?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi77ifnHNs

i think we all know who the dishwasher is in this thread...

good luck :]
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    I agree
    Just trying to spark a change from a state of non-execution. 100% you should have a job before you jump if you can swing it that way. Who knows , you might even get a counter offer that puts you in the networking department with a little cash to boot.
  • Options
    cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @volfkhat, the 'good dishasher' is my sentiment exactly. I am glad to see this thread because I'm in a similar boat as you on this.

In the meantime I'm keeping my head up and re-reading this sticky thread in the jobs forums called Career/job advice and observations.

Good luck to you
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    volfkhat wrote: »
    So, just curious....what choices are you currently considering to rectify your situation?

i think we all know who the dishwasher is in this thread...

good luck :]

Awesome!