Options

Community college was a bust - now what?

EVOJDSUEVOJDSU Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!

I'm just looking for some advice.

Basically my goal is to become an intelligence analyst with any agency. (FBI, CIA, NSA, state police, etc.) I know that IT skills are in high demand for these positions, so my goal was to enhance my IT skillset over the next 3-4 years so that I could (hopefully) become competitive for such positions.

I figured an AAS degree in an IT field from a community college would be a good way to do that. Well, coming from a state university background, I was in for a surprise. Community college (at least the one here) was absolutely terrible. The classes were full of students who either 1. Were there for the financial aid and disappeared after the first week or two. 2. Slept through class. 3. Were obviously under the influence of a controlled substance. or 4. Had zero motivation to do anything and quickly failed out. It was that bad. I would say perhaps 2% of the student body actually had a chance of succeeding. (Which isn't surprising, since the school had a 5% graduation rate.)

The professors were a joke. I read the professor curriculum vitaes during the first semester. The IT experience ranged from legit to "network admin for my boy scout troop" (yes, literally). Education ranged from A.A. degree in business to a B.S. in comp sci at most. One of my professors spent the *entire* class periods ranting about his political views in a class that was supposed to be covering firewalls... Then went on to give open book team tests/quizzes in which he put the answers up for everyone to copy. I realized I would get nothing from the program and withdrew.

So, the AAS degree idea was a bust. My question is - what now to achieve my goal? I'm thinking that perhaps going back to a state university for another bachelor's degree in IT would be the best option?

I would appreciate ANY advice as to what other paths may be out there that I haven't considered. Thanks!

My background really quickly-

Education:

B.S. degree - majors in political science & criminal justice - minors in sociology, HR management, business admin. Magna cum laude from a state university.

Certs:

A+, Network+, Security+, MCDST/MCP/MTA

Work experience:

4 years retail (two of those years retail management)
6 months doing basically SOHO level network work at a major telecom
3 years working as a clerk for the state police
1 year as a probation officer
4 years as a pretrial officer working 2nd shift - current job (think watered down probation officer)

Comments

• Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    My advice is to gather postings from the positions you want and check off what you have then pursue what you need If the postings want a certain certification go after it. If you are after government work it never hurts to be active in politics. Being connected and having references can help a great deal.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Since you already have a bachelors, forget an associate or another bachelor unless it's a graduate degree.
    Focus on job experience and other certifications.
    If you want to be an intelligence analyst, and see yourself working in that field, go talk to an Amry recruiter about these jobs. They're not James Bond and you won't be briefing POTUS but that's a good foothold into the intelligence community for post military work. For education, look at American Military University or similar for their graduate degrees in intelligence studies, or others like Troy University or Salve Regina for International Relations. Be practical and don't walk the same path again. Progress and forget this community college junk at your current level.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends... where do you live? If you live in the DC metro area, you can try to land a federal contractor position, a long shot with your experience. A more radical move would be something like trying to get a job with an overseas contracting company like Vectrus, if you land even a low level help desk position, with the secret level security clearance you'll get with the job, you be a far more desirable candidate when you apply for federal contracting positions in a year of two and the pays not bad either. Your certs meet the minimum requirements.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EVOJDSU wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I'm just looking for some advice.

Basically my goal is to become an intelligence analyst with any agency. (FBI, CIA, NSA, state police, etc.) I know that IT skills are in high demand for these positions, so my goal was to enhance my IT skillset over the next 3-4 years so that I could (hopefully) become competitive for such positions.

I figured an AAS degree in an IT field from a community college would be a good way to do that. Well, coming from a state university background, I was in for a surprise. Community college (at least the one here) was absolutely terrible. The classes were full of students who either 1. Were there for the financial aid and disappeared after the first week or two. 2. Slept through class. 3. Were obviously under the influence of a controlled substance. or 4. Had zero motivation to do anything and quickly failed out. It was that bad. I would say perhaps 2% of the student body actually had a chance of succeeding. (Which isn't surprising, since the school had a 5% graduation rate.)

The professors were a joke. I read the professor curriculum vitaes during the first semester. The IT experience ranged from legit to "network admin for my boy scout troop" (yes, literally). Education ranged from A.A. degree in business to a B.S. in comp sci at most. One of my professors spent the *entire* class periods ranting about his political views in a class that was supposed to be covering firewalls... Then went on to give open book team tests/quizzes in which he put the answers up for everyone to copy. I realized I would get nothing from the program and withdrew.

So, the AAS degree idea was a bust. My question is - what now to achieve my goal? I'm thinking that perhaps going back to a state university for another bachelor's degree in IT would be the best option?

I would appreciate ANY advice as to what other paths may be out there that I haven't considered. Thanks!

My background really quickly-

Education:

B.S. degree - majors in political science & criminal justice - minors in sociology, HR management, business admin. Magna cum laude from a state university.

Certs:

A+, Network+, Security+, MCDST/MCP/MTA

Work experience:

4 years retail (two of those years retail management)
    6 months doing basically SOHO level network work at a major telecom
    3 years working as a clerk for the state police
    1 year as a probation officer
    4 years as a pretrial officer working 2nd shift - current job (think watered down probation officer)

Unless you went to a top tier university with a very good major your goals coming out of college are a no go. The best way for you to get where you want to go is the military. Be an officer in an Intel branch. Past that you'll be on the outside looking in.
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    As a former Army military intelligence analyst, I concur with the military recommendations. The military's a great place to pick up a security clearance. If it were me, I'd focus on the Army cyber field instead of the intelligence field. The clearance requirements and the military entrance score requirements for both fields are very similar. Army cyber has been stealing people from Army military intelligence to fill vacancies. Even with a degree you're not guaranteed a commission (officer), so look into the Army Reserve for optimal opportunities. Being an enlisted college grad sucks [did 3/4 of my Army time that way], but part time in the Reserve is not as bad. You get the same initial job training and you can network with fellow Reservists for job opportunities.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take a look at this site for government jobs and positions. Should help you understand the requirements. Agreed the military is the way to go as far as the security clearance goes- so much easier than trying to get sponsorship on the civilian side.

Retired from the Army Reserves.

- b/eads
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    Many years ago a CIA recruiter who visited my small liberal arts college warned me against joining the military as an intelligence analyst. Military intelligence analysts are, from my experience, not good writers and their critical thinking skills are just not up to decent college (public Ivy or private college) standards. The FBI and Department of Homeland Security (a llittle more paramilitary bent) may be a little less picky than the CIA.

If you go the online route to pick a graduate degree in intelligence, look at the faculty credentials carefully and ask to meet some students. The online grad school experience can be just as (or more) disappointing than time spent at a junior college. (I've spent post-baccalaureate time as a junior college student and time as an online grad student.)
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quit discouraging him - this guy:

CIA Alias “
    ■■■■■

Agency Identification Number:
    ■■■■■
    Former Senior Advisor
    | United States National Security Agency,
    under corporate cover
    Former Field Officer
    | United States Central Intelligence Agency,
    under diplomatic cover
    Former Lecturer
    | United States Defense Intelligence Agency,
    under corporate cover

by his own admission only had a GED and some college level work.