Options

Different Types of Computer Science Degrees?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was looking at pursuing at Computer Science Degree (Oregon State online program), yet I have no desire at programming and I don't care for math.
So, after research it seems I am looking at a Bachelor in Information Technology. Correct?
Right now I'm looking at WGU's online program and University of Massachusetts online program. (10 Classes since I already have a Bachelor in a different major)
So, I am looking at the right degree correct?
For future reference, my ideal position would be in some type of management in the IT field....

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome Daneil! You sound new at this, My favorite question for new people in technology is: Do you have a top 5 companies that you want to work for? I think figuring out the employers helps create a career road map.
  • Options
    I don't have any top companies to work for.

I currently have a degree in Criminal Justice/Corrections & Juvenile Justice, yet have no passion as a probation officer.

In an ideal situation, would prefer something dealing with IT. 2nd Place would be business.

So, I was looking at WGU's Bachelor in IT Management.

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I were in your position, here is what I would do:

1. Study for and pass the CompTIA trio (A+, Network+, Security+).
    2. Based on those certifications, I would see if any of the subjects they touched on interested me. Depending on the answer to that question, I would look into getting an MCSA in Windows (Server, 8/10) if I enjoyed more of the A+ realm, CCNA R&S if I enjoyed networking, and/or CCNA Security if I enjoyed Security+.
    3. Consider getting an MBA with a concentration in IT. There really is no need to get two bachelor degrees for jobs in IT, for the most part. When paired with certifications, the MBA will most likely take you a lot further than having the two bachelor degrees but no certifications. Plus, you can get experience in IT with the current bachelor degree and certifications while you work on the MBA.

If you are interested in being in IT but don't want to feel like you wasted your time with the bachelor degree, consider an MSc in Digital Forensics or the like.

So, hopefully you find this info helpful. Welcome to the community and good luck!

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Yes, as soon as I posted this, I became focused on their MBA in IT Management; given the admission requirements

"
    • Submit a transcript verifying receipt of your bachelor’s degree from a recognized, accredited institution.
    • Submit a resume demonstrating at least three years of significant experience in business, industry, or at a nonprofit organization."
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Computer Science is generally the proscribed path to a developer's desk. IT in all other forms tend to lead to Infrastructure positions like administration, LAN/WAN and the like.

Having both an MBA and Master's in Computer Science, I work as a Security Architect or really fancy-smchancy security analyst. Tired of sitting in meetings all day for lower pay as an executive and went mercenary.

- b/eads