Options

Commuting... how long is too long?

jerry557jerry557 Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know this can depend on many different factors. But how long (time or miles) would you say is too far for a job? What's your limit?

Comments

• Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    I currently commute 45 minutes and I don't know how much longer I would be able to do. I think an hour would probably be my max, maybe an hour and a half but the pay better be ridiculous for that.
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This would depend upon my salary and time that I get to work virtually. I'd rather make a little less if I get a little more R&R time.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 hour door to door one way is the max for me. Right now my commute is about 10 min by car. 20 min by bus.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I once drove 90 miles one way.
    but, there were only 4 stop lights and very little traffic.
    That is a much nicer drive than 45 minutes with brake lights in your face the whole way.

And, I worked a job that was 20 miles away.
    But, i was driving away from downtown in the morning. So, my side of the road was clear sailing. While the traffic on the other side was always congested.

So, you should take into consideration how many lights and how congested the roads are.
    20 miles in stop and go rush hour traffic is worse than 60 on the the open road, in my opinion.

There are a lot most things you can do while driving these days besides listening to the radio.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1 hour is about my max for the average commute time. I understand that there will be accidents some days that will make traffic that much worse so I tend not to count those against it. If it's any more than that, they better offer me 1 WFH day a week and a nice salary on top of it all to make it worthwhile.

Currently I'm maybe a 5 minute drive, if I hit the 3 red lights and heavy traffic to get home.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say an hour would probably be my limit from now on. However, I would be looking for closer to half an hour one way. Being stuck in a car for a minimum of two hours a day is not fun. It seems like people are getting worse and worse at driving each year.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    30 minutes, regardless of distance is my limit. I commute 30 minutes now and it's my limit.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    I leave my house at 4:45 AM and I have a 30 -35 min drive. If I leave at 5:10 AM , there would be no way I would make it to work at 5:45 AM.

New Job is almost the same as the old job around 30-35 min drive . I just have to again leave at 4:45 AM or I will not be able to find parking.

I don't think I could go any more than 1 hour each way if I kept my 6 speed . If I drove a different car , I could go maybe 1.5 hours with the help of some classical music.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    my current commute is 3 hours (depending on traffic, can be longer) each way, but there are no decent paying jobs where I am so I drive up on Mon and home on wed most of the year. During my son's football season, I drive up on Tuesday and back Wednesday, and then the rest of the days I work remote. Company is good about the remote mon, thurs,fri during football season. Been doing it for 6 years
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I am at an hour now but it is a pretty easy drive for the most part. The only time it seems to bother me is near the end of it going home.
  • Options
    Kuvuli21Kuvuli21 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I average about one hour most days for 30 mile trip one way...that is unless I get screwed over in crazy traffic because of the normal sometimes daily wrecks in and around Atlanta...other than that things are very spread out in the south. We also drive fast as hell around here...but one and maybe 1.5 hours max. Good pay helps!!
    Currently studying: 70-680 Windows 7: Configuring

2017-2018 goals: 70-685, Server 2012, CWNP, SSCP and/or CCNA.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    30 minutes, regardless of distance is my limit.
    +1
    Anything longer than 30 minutes isn't worth it for me, If it's longer then I would probably just move closer, if I was going to be in that job for a while.
  • Options
    hinsdahl00hinsdahl00 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It takes me anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes to get to work and 1hr43mn to 2hr30mn to get home. I take back roads on the way home just so I'm moving and not inching along.
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    My farthest was 2 hours each way. It cost me a lot of money and time and I gained 60 pounds. If you can't try to stay away from commuting. It's time that's better spent studying or doing anything else.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mbarrett wrote: »
    +1
    Anything longer than 30 minutes isn't worth it for me, If it's longer then I would probably just move closer, if I was going to be in that job for a while.

Same-ish I would say nearing 45 minutes is too much.
    That's almost 2 hours of travel back and forth + the 1hour lunch, you're looking at 3 hours per day you're never getting back and that cant be very productive..

edit: I drive under 20 minutes currently, my fastest time (i speed) was 8 minutes.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being from NYC, I think they did a study that we have the longest commute times of anybody. 1hr max, for me. If I take the train to work, it is 45 minutes at the FASTEST. 55-60 on the normal.

If I ride my bike, it is only dependent on the wind. 30 minutes on a normal day. 35 on a super windy day with traffic. I bike as often as I can.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If it's on decent public transportation I can take an hour tops. Even that can be a bit much. Driving I can't do over 30 minutes especially if it's in traffic.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    45 minutes coming in. Going home is 90 minutes.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    About 5 mins one-way for now. 6 years ago I had 2 hours one-way, it was tough.

PS Just hit 666 comments. Nice!
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do an hour and 20 mins each way but the best jobs are an hour away from me so I have no choice.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    ~35ish minutes. But traffic is heavy/stressful here. What might be a 30 minute commute one day could be an hour the next. So I have to leave enough time assuming everyday that traffic will be at its worst.

Probably up to an hour if the drive was stress free and scenic. Or if it was a train or bus type deal.
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I go an hour

For me, I don't mind it. Generally the drive is fairly easily despite it being interstate. Also, I drive a fun car, which makes the trip enjoyable overall.

I have other factors that help. I get to "beat" morning rush hour by not hitting the interstate until almost 9. I also get the "beat" rush hour on the way back by leaving before most people.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It would depend also on how I'm getting there. An hour driving through city traffic is not the same as an hour sitting on a smooth, quiet train. I drove a lot in a previous job (3 hours+ driving per day wasn't that uncommon, and 90minutes-2hrs was most days), and ended up hating it, to the point that even a daily 20 minutes in the car would have been unpleasant.

I had another situation that was about 30 minute drive in the morning but about an hour in the evening. That was really annoying because the traffic in the evening could only really be avoided by staying late. I ended up taking the train a couple of times a week, even though it was slower in the morning, just to stay sane.

I've also had a ~1hr commute each way, but that was 10 mins walking at either end and a ~35 minute train journey. That time on the train was great for just reading or staring out the window. And the incidental exercise probably helped keep me healthier.

For the right job, with the right commute (not driving in traffic), I'd maybe go up to 90 minutes.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    For me it's traffic dependent. I would rather drive 1 hour never having to worry about traffic than 30 minutes guaranteed traffic. I will start getting paranoid and constantly check my phone's GPS debating if I should get off at an earlier exit etc. It just adds a factor of uncertainty that drives me nuts.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no price on a short commute to work.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone here not use Waze or Google maps prior to leaving out for work???
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Right now it's 40min mix of stoplights and highway. I'm anticipating closing on a new house Friday and my commute will be 30 minutes mixed but also not as stressful. The max I would do is about 1 hour if it was all highway. 30 minutes of stop and go is my max.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    When you feel like just going to bed after driving for so long.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I used to do 1 hour to work, then about 1.5 hours from work. That's nearly 3 hours on heavy days, 3.5 if an accident. I did that for 2 years to gain experience. Now I commute 20 mins both to and from. That's perfect except for the job I have now. So I'm conflicted, as I'm looking for a different role and I'm afraid my commute is going to double or triple.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No more than 30 for me. I did a 1.5 working overnight and it was horrible. Driving another 1.5 after working a 12 hour overnight shift. I dang near died. There is no amount of cash worth that and that is why I changed job more money less commute.