RouterSim - Tidbit of advice

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
I bought the RouterSim's CCNA Router Simulator, and let me tell you it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. I wish I had of done alot more research on the product prior to purchasing it. Let me say this first, that Todd advertises this product in his book (Sybex's CCNA 5th edition), but it cannot perform alot of simple commands like 'show interfaces trunk', thats another one I just came by that doesn't work. There are lot's. I thought if you were going to advertise the product in your book that the software would perform all the commands, I was really wrong.

Your best bet is to go out and buy a couple old routers, because this software doesn't cut it at all.
Now working full time!

Comments

• uksmurfuksmurf Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Couldn't agree more.

I have v5 and keep noticing annoying things on their 2950 sim, despite having the latest update from their website.
      You can't enable VTP pruning
      show vlan brief doesn't work...
      Setting the VTP mode (i.e server / client / transparent) has to be done from global config mode... whereas on a real switch this is done through the VLAN database

I lost complete confidence in it, especially after the VTP setting was in the wrong place - imagine a lab coming up on it in the actual exam and getting stumped as you can't find it in global config, yet that's where it was on your sim icon_evil.gif
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    uksmurf wrote:
    Couldn't agree more.

I have v5 and keep noticing annoying things on their 2950 sim, despite having the latest update from their website.
      You can't enable VTP pruning
      show vlan brief doesn't work...
      Setting the VTP mode (i.e server / client / transparent) has to be done from global config mode... whereas on a real switch this is done through the VLAN database

I lost complete confidence in it, especially after the VTP setting was in the wrong place - imagine a lab coming up on it in the actual exam and getting stumped as you can't find it in global config, yet that's where it was on your sim icon_evil.gif

Oh dear I didnt know about the vtp mode thing icon_eek.gif
    Now working full time!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I cant even get VTP to work, i type in domain name on one switch which I assume would activate it but the rest of the switches do not get the name from that, anyone else tried this?
    are you sure on a real switch you do it thru vlan database?
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    When you set the domain name it has to be done on all of the switches.
    Now working full time!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh I see, yeah after I did that it did work, I thought it was a bug, I'm sure when the lecturer was showing us he emphasised that it updated automatically, oh well at least its working now, I'm just worried about what the other person was saying about the command being in the wrong mode.

only other alternative program I can think of is boson netsim 6.0 CCNP, I've used that but I preferred the interface of routersim.
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    uksmurf wrote:

Actually, vlan database mode is deprecated these days. If you enter the "vlan database" command on a 2950 running a newer IOS you will actually get a message telling you that the preferred method for vlan/vtp configuration is to use the config mode commands. It will still let you use vlan database mode, but it's a pretty strong hint that you should be learning the config mode vlan/vtp commands.

--Bill
  • uksmurfuksmurf Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lwwarner wrote:
    uksmurf wrote:

Actually, vlan database mode is deprecated these days. If you enter the "vlan database" command on a 2950 running a newer IOS you will actually get a message telling you that the preferred method for vlan/vtp configuration is to use the config mode commands. It will still let you use vlan database mode, but it's a pretty strong hint that you should be learning the config mode vlan/vtp commands.

--Bill

Thanks - I didn't realise!

What IOS is the CCNA based on? Is it one where the VLAN database is still prevelant?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I liked the RouterSim exam demo, but I doubt I'd want to touch a simulator from them.

I also wonder if the RouterSim folks have to hobble their products so as to not be TOO much like the real exam sims. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    uksmurf wrote:
    What IOS is the CCNA based on? Is it one where the VLAN database is still prevelant?
    Sorry, don't know that. Can't hurt to know 'em both...

--Bill
  • anthonyzibaanthonyziba Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Humper wrote: »
    I bought the RouterSim's CCNA Router Simulator, and let me tell you it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. I wish I had of done alot more research on the product prior to purchasing it. Let me say this first, that Todd advertises this product in his book (Sybex's CCNA 5th edition), but it cannot perform alot of simple commands like 'show interfaces trunk', thats another one I just came by that doesn't work. There are lot's. I thought if you were going to advertise the product in your book that the software would perform all the commands, I was really wrong.

Your best bet is to go out and buy a couple old routers, because this software doesn't cut it at all.
    I was just about to buy this product. Thanks for the advice - I will not!!
  • tlammletlammle Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Humper wrote: »

Todd Lammle Wrote:
    Hello, at the time of writing the 5th edition (I have since finished a 6th edition), I use to own/work at RouterSim and the product did work well at the time, and had they continued to listen me after I sold it, then it would be fine. But they were total jerks and went off and thought they knew it all, didn't need me, and didn't follow my advise, hence, your post.

So, I am not involved in Routersim AT ALL, and nothing in any of my books from now on will EVER promote their product(s). I heard they were closing anyway.

To cover myself, at the time of writing my book, the programmers had all the commands and were suppose to parse them. By the time I was done with the book, I had sold my portion.

Try GNS3 or Packet Tracer 5.2, they really are great, and/or buy equipment from ebay....either way, I am sorry that I had misdirected you in any way, that was not my intention at the time.

Cheers!
    Todd Lammle
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    tlammle wrote: »
    Todd Lammle Wrote:
    Hello, at the time of writing the 5th edition (I have since finished a 6th edition), I use to own/work at RouterSim and the product did work well at the time, and had they continued to listen me after I sold it, then it would be fine. But they were total jerks and went off and thought they knew it all, didn't need me, and didn't follow my advise, hence, your post.

So, I am not involved in Routersim AT ALL, and nothing in any of my books from now on will EVER promote their product(s). I heard they were closing anyway.

To cover myself, at the time of writing my book, the programmers had all the commands and were suppose to parse them. By the time I was done with the book, I had sold my portion.

Try GNS3 or Packet Tracer 5.2, they really are great, and/or buy equipment from ebay....either way, I am sorry that I had misdirected you in any way, that was not my intention at the time.

Cheers!
    Todd Lammle

Now that is service, celebrity guest appearance...icon_cheers.gif
    Great to see you posting on this site.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    miller811 wrote: »
    Now that is service, celebrity guest appearance...icon_cheers.gif
    Great to see you posting on this site.

I am impressed!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    tlammle wrote: »
    todd lammle wrote:
    Hello, at the time of writing the 5th edition (i have since finished a 6th edition), i use to own/work at routersim and the product did work well at the time, and had they continued to listen me after i sold it, then it would be fine. But they were total jerks and went off and thought they knew it all, didn't need me, and didn't follow my advise, hence, your post.

So, i am not involved in routersim at all, and nothing in any of my books from now on will ever promote their product(s). I heard they were closing anyway.

To cover myself, at the time of writing my book, the programmers had all the commands and were suppose to parse them. By the time i was done with the book, i had sold my portion.

Try gns3 or packet tracer 5.2, they really are great, and/or buy equipment from ebay....either way, i am sorry that i had misdirected you in any way, that was not my intention at the time.

Cheers!
    Todd lammle

blimy !
    Kam.