Options

Anyone want to study together for the CCENT?

Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I never study when I'm by my self. I want to study with someone and talk with someone about the material we're studying. I don't have a book yet but I can purchase a Udemy video or something. I mean we can go over what you know if you're ahead of the process. Teaching someone is the best way to learn. I have some networking knowledge ( I was studying for Network + but decided CCENT is a better option because then I am one test away from CCNA ) and would know what you're talking about most likely.

Let me know! We can do this via Skype or Curse, or if you prefer we can just type to one another.

Comments

• Options
    Like if you haven't started yet there is a course on Udemy for $10, ( Sale from $140)

https://www.udemy.com/cisco-ccna-ccent-or-icnd1-100-105-the-complete-course/
  • Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just checked the site and it list the price at 140. How do you get it for 10 dollars?
  • Options
    I guess they switched it back to $140. I got super lucky.
  • Options
    Maybe if you e-mail them they'll sell it to you for $10.
  • Options
    I figured it out. If you sign up and add the course to your cart it will reduce the price to 10 dollars. It appears to be unlimited use as I have added 3 courses and there all listed as 10 dollars.
  • Options
    Would you want to study together sometime? Maybe do like a weekly requirement to watch X amount of videos and take notes. Then we can go over what we learned and our notes and talk?
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd like to join too please. Maybe a Skype study group?
  • Options
    Yeah a Skype study group sounds perfect.

When are you available? And how should we do this so we waste minimal time?
  • Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    I would possibly be game for this as well. I was going to go for network+ as I am finishing up my A+ Friday, but I could do CCENT instead!
  • Options
    Quench24 wrote: »
    Yeah a Skype study group sounds perfect.

When are you available? And how should we do this so we waste minimal time?

We could go one section at a time. For example, complete section x by this date. Of course we should also be studying materials outside of the course as well. However, the materials that we study should align to the section we're on. For example, if we're studying Section 3: Fundamentals of Ethernet, all our research should be on Fundamentals of Ethernet. Then when we meet, we can discuss the section we're on, discuss questions that we have, discuss what we don't understand, discuss what the course left out (which hopefully won't be alot). The previous study groups that I was a part of (a long time ago) would go over book questions, labs from books, etc. Any other ideas?

The only problem I can see us having is time frame and pacing. How quickly do you guys want to go through the material and when should we meet? Every day, every other day, etc. Not sure what everyone's situation is so we'd have to work that out. As for me, my schedule is extremely flexible.
  • Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    That sounds good to me. I am pretty busy though so we would have to discuss some timeframes. You can message me and I will give you my email to make communication easier.
  • Options
    Would we follow the $10 course I linked?
  • Options
    Would we follow the $10 course I linked?

Honestly, I'd prefer going through the Official Cert Guide book (or even Todd Lammle's book) and following that outline. If the OCG or Lammle book isn't an option for you right now, then using the linked course wouldn't be a problem for me (just bought it). However, as many others have pointed out in other threads, we shouldn't expect to pass using just a video series alone. What does your schedule look like Quench? I'm trying to send you a private message but it says that I can't.
  • Options
    I'm also very flexible at the moment. I know my self, if I have to sit down and read a book, I won't do it. Unless we like go through it together reading on Skype, but that might be weird. I can buy a book its no problem, but I don't know how much of it I would read by my self is all I'm saying.

I have this thing where I need someone there when I'm studying, or else I seldom do it.
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldn't mind have a study group. Im not planning to start studying for another two weeks or so.
    I ordered the Udemy course and have Odom's book as well. Planning to use both resources
  • Options
    I'm also very flexible at the moment. I know my self, if I have to sit down and read a book, I won't do it. Unless we like go through it together reading on Skype, but that might be weird. I can buy a book its no problem, but I don't know how much of it I would read by my self is all I'm saying.

I have this thing where I need someone there when I'm studying, or else I seldom do it.
    JTN wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't mind have a study group. Im not planning to start studying for another two weeks or so.
    I ordered the Udemy course and have Odom's book as well. Planning to use both resources

I think that we should meet every Wednesday afternoon and complete two sections per week. Sections 2 and 3 is ~2 hours which seems doable. We can meet this Wednesday as an introductory meeting. Next Wednesday will be our first "official" meeting where we can go over sections 2 and 3. Why next week Wednesday? So we can try to include as many people as possible and to see if there are any other people who want to join. At a pace of 2 sections per week, we should be good to go in 6 - 8 weeks (the course only has 12 sections which could give us 2 weeks for final review if needed). Any thoughts? If you guys want to go at a faster pace than that I'm okay with that as well. I'm in the PDT timezone.
  • Options
    I'm in central time zone.

This wednesday is very busy for me, but I am free Thursday. I like everything you said Certified Monkey.
  • Options
    D2PD2P Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Questions for you guys: Are u guys using the new materials for the new 100-105 ICND1 or the old stuffs? I finished reading the Official Cert Guide for the ICD1 100-101 by Wendell Odom and now I'm wondering if I should purchase the new book for the new test.
    And for the people who's using Udemy course videos, Are the videos updated for the new ICND1 test?
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Options
    D2P wrote: »
    Questions for you guys: Are u guys using the new materials for the new 100-105 ICND1 or the old stuffs? I finished reading the Official Cert Guide for the ICD1 100-101 by Wendell Odom and now I'm wondering if I should purchase the new book for the new test.
    And for the people who's using Udemy course videos, Are the videos updated for the new ICND1 test?

I'm using the 100-105 materials. I hear that the v2 materials cover about 85% of the new v3 test. However, I think using old materials and having to sort out what's needed and what isn't is confusing and too much work. The course linked looks like it's updated for the 100-105.
  • Options
    JTN wrote: »
    I figured it out. If you sign up and add the course to your cart it will reduce the price to 10 dollars. It appears to be unlimited use as I have added 3 courses and there all listed as 10 dollars.

I just tried that and it didn't work for me. It still showing $140. Did u used any coupon?
  • Options
    Okay I was able to find the coupon online. It's
    [FONT=&quot]UDMY10ALL for anyone who's interested.[/FONT]
  • Options
    snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd be keen to join in with this, however I'm in the UK so I'm not sure how the time difference will work?
  • Options
    normslandnormsland Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd be keen to join in with this, however I'm in the UK so I'm not sure how the time difference will work?
    Hey

I am based in the UK too. I got through around 70% of the old CCENT material before Cisco pulled the plug icon_sad.gif but could be interested in joining. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm using the 100-105 and 200-105 books.
  • Options
    So for our first study group we're probably going to be talking about TCP/IP and TCP/IP layers. Which devices are on which layer, etc. I haven't finished the first lesson though.
  • Options
    So for our first study group we're probably going to be talking about TCP/IP and TCP/IP layers. Which devices are on which layer, etc. I haven't finished the first lesson though.

I'm interested in joining.
  • Options
    Mochagirl90Mochagirl90 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm interested in joining the group. :D
  • Options
    Reviving this thread, I'm still interested in a study group on Sat Nights or Sunday mornings/afternoon.

I started studying for the CCNA, ( CCENT is the first of two tests you need to pass to get it ) and I'm 3 chapters in the book. OSI mode, TCP/IP, LAN, WAN technologies and some protocols is what I've learned so far.