Options

Access Point question

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, this may sound like a silly question, but i rarely have to deal with wireless configs and have searched online but need some clarity on a couple of things.

Regarding access points in a building, for each user that needs to be assigned a certain IP, do they need to be signing into an SSID for a AP that is a DHCP server that holds the scope for them or can the configuration be forwarded to a DHCP server from the AP, if so how is the DHCP able to distinguish between each different SSID access point.

Am i correct also in saying that AP alone do not provide network connectivity and do not route traffic, they merley provide a way for a wireless device to communicate with a router?

Also, does each AP that the user would use to connect to the network need a WPA2 passkey on it (if we are using standard here)??

Thanks for the clarity.

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Is this for SOHO or enterprise wireless set up you are asking ?

Am i correct also in saying that AP alone do not provide network connectivity and do not route traffic, they merley provide a way for a wireless device to communicate with a router?
    AP alone is not enough to create a wireless infra.

does each AP that the user would use to connect to the network need a WPA2 passkey on it (if we are using standard here)?
    my qs is what is your current and planned set up? you can have a open authentication. So, no, you dont need WPA2.