Options

Need Advice

heyyydaveheyyydave Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am currently a ISSM for the US Navy I get out in approx. 2 months from now(woohoo) and play to move to the Dallas-FW area. I was a sys admin for 3 years, a team lead for 1 year and now a ISSM for almost a year. I have my C|EH, my Security+ and my MPCS. So here is my question. I need to start my job hunt very very soon (considering I have a wife and kid to support) but I have a predicament. I have a CISSP test scheduled for Oct 25th and I have been studying hard the past month and plan to study at least 3 hours a day up until the test day. Is it better for me to wait until I have my CISSP or just apply for jobs letting them know I have a test scheduled and kind of use that as a negotiation tool? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Apply now. What can it hurt?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd go ahead and start applying. Even if you pass the test on the 25th, you won't be a CISSP until November 18th at the very soonest. And that's if you submit your endorsement paperwork the very next day after your exam.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have a wife and kid to support so I'd start applying immediately. You can definitely bring up in interviews on your plans for your CISSP as well.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can bring it up in conversation but be clear that the exam is only scheduled and that you haven't passed. From what you have written your actually qualified to sit for the SSCP not the full CISSP. If this is correct you need to schedule for the associate exam instead.

One of the main tenants for sitting for the CISSP is to ascertain the required five years of security experience, isn't it? Otherwise what would be holding the credential as what it was at one time. Today I have meet many people trying to break into security, having past the exam but have little to no experience in security. One is an assistant manager of a well known retail space in a local mall but he passed the CISSP written. What a joke.

Welcome to the club!

- b/eads
  • Options
    heyyydaveheyyydave Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the quick replies and okay Im going to start applying, also I've looked into the requirements for taking the exam and have talked to an ISC2 rep and he said I should be good to go considering I have a CEH one year will get waived as far as work experience goes and I have proof of 4+ years of experience in 2 or more domains. So that's not a concern, I just know I can get a way better paying job with the CISSP vice without. But your right ill bring it up in interviews maybe put it in my cover letter. Plus I have seen jobs that require you to get your CISSP within 6 months of hire so maybe ill check those out.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    An ISSM job without IAM lvl 3 cert? Hmm

Anyways, get your CISSP ASAP as almost all ISSM lvl jobs will require it. If you manage to make the cert list without it you should buy a lotto ticket that day. I have seen it done, but very rare.

Good luck!