Options

Weird job interview dilemma LF advice

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
I have been going back and forth trying to get a position at a company over the last I guess two months. Their recruiter contacted me initially for a heavy networking role that is probably a little over my head. He asked if I had any experience with Juniper - Nope Fortigate, Cisco Extreme HP. Do you know a lot of Linux - no but I am learning. Eventually get the email saying that he enjoyed talking to me and we should keep in touch.

Few weeks later he calls me back with another position. It's supporting another area that's more Windows based. Go through the questions and he wants to schedule an interview. The interview gets set and the morning of the interview at 4AM my works internet circuit goes down. Run to the office in flip flops and gym shorts and have to cancel the interview. Follow up with the guy later on that day and he says all positions were filled but we'll keep in touch.

A week or so later another recruiter from the same company calls me back and wants to bring me in for the same interview I had to cancel which is awesome. I go to the interview and leave feeling a little torn on how I did. It was like 45 minutes of constant questions all in different areas. Some I nailed some I missed but I definitely nailed all the networking.

I get a call back from them today saying that they loved my personality blah blah blah but the team thinks I would be better fit for the heavy networking role and I should come in for another interview. Go figure! The problem is right now I am kinda stuck for time off already being I have been literally spending all of it the past two months interviewing. On top of that I need to pass my CCNA Sec to reup my CCNA by the end of the month. Oh and I have to move by the middle of October. I feel like my brain is slowly dripping out my ears just having to type that let alone deal with it. I know it's like "Who cares - the interview really doesn't take much of your time. Go and see how you do." I guess I am not wired that way. It just all feels overwhelming on top of the situation being weird. As much as I love weird it is kinda crummy when you're talking about work and I would feel like a jackass if I go in and bomb it.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? I am honestly leaning towards saying let's revisit the position at a later date but I am not sure honestly.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Recruiters fill positions pretty fast, so if you don’t act on the network position, it will be filled.
    It does sounds like you’re under a lot of stress with the move and the Cisco studies.
    I would call the recruiter up and mention you dilemma with the time off.
    Just mention you don’t have much vacation left.
    See if the interview can be scheduled for a time when you’re not at work.
    Maybe you can do a Skype interview…?

Questions:
    Is this a position you want? You like the job duties, pay hours, ect
    Is this a company you want to work if you?
    If the answer to both of these questions is “YES’, then I say go for it.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    I should clarify this is a recruiter WITH the company. I'm not getting hit up by a headhunter or anything. They're a really big company so there are many different recruiters there.

Yes on both accounts but I am still not sure. Ideally I would call them up and say "Look. You guys thought I could do job A and I know I can crush job A. Now you want me for job B but job B is a little daunting. Job B is where I want to be eventually but I am not trying to BS my way into it. So let's meet in the middle and you give me what I want for now which is job A."
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally think you should go for the job that aligns with your career goals and is a little daunting. I know how you feel as I find just an interview without all those other distractions is stressful but I would hate to kick myself later for a missed opportunity. If the networking role is appealing I say try to find the time and give it a shot.
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    I should clarify this is a recruiter WITH the company. I'm not getting hit up by a headhunter or anything. They're a really big company so there are many different recruiters there.

Yes on both accounts but I am still not sure. Ideally I would call them up and say "Look. You guys thought I could do job A and I know I can crush job A. Now you want me for job B but job B is a little daunting. Job B is where I want to be eventually but I am not trying to BS my way into it. So let's meet in the middle and you give me what I want for now which is job A."

Whats up with the pressure for the cert? Is it about to expire or something?

Anyways, I have been at the benefit of some good advice in my career, and I'd like to pass on a few things.

First, I really think placing yourself in a position where you are forced to learn can actually be a really good thing. Granted, I realize you have alot going on in your personal life. But, lets face it, we all do, and life usually doesn't get easier. I'm not just blowing smoke. About 10 years ago, I took on a daunting role, while being a newly wed, moving, having a 2 week old baby, among a small list of other personal things that I wont get into. My point is, I am better off because I pushed myself.

Second, I very rarely have stepped into a role (or seen people step into roles) where the employer expected you to be at 100% day one. For example, I once took a job that had a lot of scripting and code debugging involved. I knew very little at the time in either one of those realms, but during my interview process I showed a willingness to learn, not a timid attitude. As such, they gave me AMPLE time to get to the level I needed

Third, one great question to ask them during your next interview or conversation would be: "How is success measured in this role?" or "How will you judge if Blatini is doing a good job with this role?" -- The answer to this might surprise you. I know it has surprised me a few times when someone answers it. Sometimes its quite literally "Well as long as your coming in every day and trying" -- My point is this: You might be placing more pressure on yourself for your skills gap than the potential employer is.

Fourth, I knew first hand that often times when you are trying to hire a new employee, it is much more about attitude than it is skills. I have helped hire employees, and I would take attitude over skill 9 days a week. My point: if these people are liking you and saying "you'd be great for X" its possible that you would actually be a great fit for X being that they like your attitude. Skills can be learned, attitude often cant.

I'm not saying to add a bunch of pressure to your life needlessly, but, the other pressure will be there no matter what . . .

Far too many times I seen mid level tech guys get stuck in a rut because when a job comes along that isnt in their comfort zone, they act as if they will be put in front of a senate investigation board about "why you cant do the job!" - it's just not true in most cases.

However, with all of that said, obviously you have a better feel for the job than anyone else does. If you REALLY think that it would be a high pressure situation where you have no time to learn, then perhaps you do need to pass it up. But generally, I only see that with small companies because of their lack of breadth in terms of workforce. In my experience, large employers have a much better onboarding and leadtime process for new employees

I say give it a shot and see what happens man . . .
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate the feedback!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your new job isn't terrifying, you're doing it wrong. Take on the heavy networking role!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.