SPECIAL: Special for HIMSS - Implementing Healthcare Cyber-Hygiene with the Critical

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone have any experience in healthcare IT and know whther this course is relevant?

https://www.sans.org/course/special-for-himss-implementing-healthcare-cyber-hygiene-with-the-critical-security-controls

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm paying SANS level dollars for training, I want a certification to go along with it. You would probably be better off with something like this:

http://www.himssconference.org/register/registration/register-now

and they offer a certification as well. I only found a few jobs that asked for it, but it's a fairly new certification.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    18 years in healthcare/HR/benefits, HIPAA certified, etc. Yeah, this course looks to be more of a market reaction to healthcare being targeted by ransomeware more than anything else. SANS can dress its up any way they want but they are still a commercial company trying to make a buck.

Outside of that whats the current healthcare market look like? Around Chicago its fairly dismal with everyone worried about the currently M&A landscape. Read hiring freezes at most of the large players here.

If your currently working for a healthcare provider and they are willing to pick up the tab by all means do so. If your looking to make yourself marketable to healthcare I would seriously reconsider that the market is very unsettled particularly with Obamacare entering the promised death spiral that we all quietly and among ourselves (in the healthcare industry) would happen but were also told to publicly support.

Interesting but probably not worth the fees unless your being sponsored to take the course.

Like SANS training but this feels like a bit of a stretch in today's market.

- b/eads
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @TechGromit: I agree completely! If SANS is going to charge for such training, there should be a cert attached, rather than a paper that says I attended.

@beads: Thanks for that insight. I'd assumed Obamacare would cause the cost of everything to go up in the healthcare industry to include salaries. But market forces seemed to be contrary. Unintended consequences and how the road to Hell is paved I suppose. My wife's co-worker has a spouse who commutes from DC to NJ for a an IT Security Director position at a hospital where his salary is $300K+, so I thought that might be a good direction to look. I tire of the Defense industry and am considering going back into the commercial world.