Options

Money vs longevity

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I haven't even been applying for jobs but got contacted by 2 recruiters today. My current position is not really what I want to be doing and I could probably get paid more, I know I can in this market. I have 6 months experience. Should I look for something that pays more? Or accept a sh!!!y salary in order to build up years of experience?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why not both? You can build up years of experience without getting paid like crap.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    well I want both, just doing what I want. I should have said should I build up experience to put on my resume or get a new job that will pay me $10-$20k more?
  • Options
    Still not seeing how the two differ. Would you not be putting the new job on the resume or something? Is it not tech related?
  • Options
    No more of should I stay and build up longevity at a company that I'm not interested in or go get the job I want that pays. Does it look bad not having long term experience with a company?
  • Options
    I wouldn't make a habit of jumping every six months or anything, but no one is going to look down on you for taking a better job. Especially early in your career.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    My general rule is to stay at a job for at least a year before i jump ship unless the pay increase is 25% or more.

Also you have to factor in the type of job you have now vs the potential job. Ex. are you leaving a perm job for a contract job, benefits, commute time difference, etc..
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only downside would be if the better paying job is something completely unrelated? Like say you make more money testing hair products... sure, for now it is better. But overall? No.

If it's a tech job, go for the money because you get experience just the same.