Options

Sybex Question Help - What is risk?

Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a Sybex question and need some help

Q) What is risk?

A) Any Potential Occurrence that could cause undesirable or unwanted outcome
B) The likelihood that any specific threat will exploit a specific vulnerability to cause harm to an asset.

I think both A and B are correct, but A is more general so I choose A. However the correct answer according to the book is B. Can anyone help me understand why is B and not A.

Comments

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to me A is more of a threat where B is the risk. if you look at it A is asking for an event and B is asking for the likelihood of the event. i don't think either are very good definitions but if given only that info that would be my answer
  • Options
    dinhtqdinhtq Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Q) What is risk?

A) Any Potential Occurrence that could cause undesirable or unwanted outcome
    B) The likelihood that any specific threat will exploit a specific vulnerability to cause harm to an asset.

Follow me :
    A : Threat
    B : Risk
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The definition for Risk can be found in Chapter 2. I found the statement after the definition to help in identifying it against other terms. "It is an assessment of probability, possibility, or chance. The more likely it is that a threat event will occur, the greater the risk. Every instance of exposure is a risk."

Stewart , James M.; Chapple, Mike; Gibson, Darril (2015-09-11). CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide (Kindle Location 2715). Wiley. Kindle Edition.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Risk is literally the probability of a threat exploiting a vulnerability.
  • Options
    Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone :):D