Options

CEH good prerequisite for OSCP

SavykSavyk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

So I mentioned yesterday that I'd be attempting the OSCP but would like comments on the following;

Would anyone recommend taking CEH first before attempting OSCP. I understand it's a theoretical approach to pentesting but surely it can only help?

Always good to add a feather to your cap?

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't think so OSCP is a serious certification that even experienced pentesters can struggle with, as James suggested look into elearnsecurity eJPT or eCPPT.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The EC-Council was the first to market and immediately picked up by the DoD. Otherwise, I doubt anyone would have bothered with the "tour of tools" certification from a technical perspective.

At one time they were the only game in town. The market has reacted by building a better mouse trap or in this case - certification.

- b/eads
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what about Security + and CASP do you have these if not i would go with these first and then get your self a SANS class don't waste money on CEH.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'll look into PTP v4...seems like a good stepping stone.
  • Options
    mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    I'de say that if CEH would provide you motivation for the OSCP then do so. It's not the best cert i've done but i've lab'ed much while doing it and it enabled me to get some strengths crawling my way to the OSCP that's sure... But as well, why not the eLearning stuff, really i think that as long as it motivates you you're fine.. CEH is also and don't ask me why rather more known from the HR drones...
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GPEN might be a good to do before OSCP.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Hi all,

Im so confused now!

What do you all think of this;

http://www.icsi.co.uk/msc.html

I think this looks like a great place to start and then move onto OSCP. Plus the courses and exams are accredited with CREST, GHCQ and UCLAN.

Thoughts???
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You are looking at getting a Masters degree in Cybersecurity as preparation for the OCSP course? The OSCP covers a very highly specialized area of InfoSec that requires skill typical of software developers. It is unlikely a Cybersecurity degree program that does not include software development in its curriculum would cover any topics useful to the OSCP.
  • Options
    Ah - you sir are indeed right..That does look a bit odd.

What I meant is that I think the Masters is good to go for, over the 2 year period but the pentester course which is certified by CREST might be good foundation study before attempting OSCP.

Br,

Savyk
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like a longer route to OSCP.

From what I can tell, the Crest Registered Penetration Tester (CRT) exam is practical based and can only be taken at designated locations in UK, USA, Australia and Singapore. So you may need to fly from South Africa.

The eCPPT to OSCP route is probably a better option as they have similar exam formats.
    Once you get your OSCP, you can "upgrade" to CREST CRT