Options

A+ Network+ Renewal necessary?

My coworkers don't have any certs and I have both. One of them in particular keeps arguing with me that I need to renew my certs. I explained to him that mines were taken before 2011 so I don't have to renew them. He thinks those certs are not good anymore.
What do you guys think?
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not a comptia expert. Sounds like your certs be for the CE version (continuing education). And therefore I think you have the A+ and Net+ certs instead of the A+ CE and Net+ CE versions.

I'm pretty sure your certs are in fact still valid, and if you were to take a higher level comptia cert (e.g., Sec+) now then that would convert your A+ and Net+ both to CE and then you would need to abide by the Comptia CE requirements of reporting CEUs/annual dues.

I think that's correct--someone with comptia knowledge please chime in.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Pull up your CompTIA transcript, it should indicate on there if you have lifetime or CE.

If you have lifetime, than you won't need to renew...HOWEVER, if you took your NET+ in the window of transition for CE, you may have triggered your A+ into a CE update mode.

You will need to contact CompTIA or check your transcript to understand what you hold.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not a comptia expert. Sounds like your certs be for the CE version (continuing education). And therefore I think you have the A+ and Net+ certs instead of the A+ CE and Net+ CE versions.

I'm pretty sure your certs are in fact still valid, and if you were to take a higher level comptia cert (e.g., Sec+) now then that would convert your A+ and Net+ both to CE and then you would need to abide by the Comptia CE requirements of reporting CEUs/annual dues.

I think that's correct--someone with comptia knowledge please chime in.

No. Non-CE stay non-CE. No way to "upgrade" them to CE.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can "upgrade" them to CE if you get a higher level cert that would renew the non-CE as if it were a CE cert. You still have the non-CE on your transcript though.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you ever got a DoD job you would probably need to take the new version if one or both were required for the position.
  • Options
    erik087erik087 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    If you ever got a DoD job you would probably need to take the new version if one or both were required for the position.

True! While non-CE ("lifetime") CompTIA certifications are fully valid in the eyes of CompTIA, they no longer meet the requirements of DoDD 8570/8140. The updated requirements for certification for the DoD only accepts the "CE" versions of the certifications.

That being said, your cert are still completely valid.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erik087 wrote: »
    True! While non-CE ("lifetime") CompTIA certifications are fully valid in the eyes of CompTIA, they no longer meet the requirements of DoDD 8570/8140. The updated requirements for certification for the DoD only accepts the "CE" versions of the certifications.

That being said, your cert are still completely valid.

Yaw... it's kind of a scam; but kind of Not.

The "Good for Life" version is different than the "CE" version.

Some employers will require you to have the "CE" version.
    Showing them your transcripts and explaining that you got it 10 years ago when it was a lifetime cert.... Will NOT win them over.
    You will need to Sit the CURRENT version of the test.

The one advantage of the "Good for Life" is this:
    Sitting the HIGHEST level test... will EARN you all the Lower "CE"s as well.

For instance,
    Let's say you got the A+, Net+, and Sec+ 10 years ago. They are considered "Good for Life".

Now, if you took/passed the SY0-401 (Security+) tomorrow...
    then Comptia will award you 3 certs:
    Security+ CE
    Network+ CE
    A+ CE

(all good for 3 years)
    I hope that makes sense...
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And therefore I think you have the A+ and Net+ certs instead of the A+ CE and Net+ CE versions.

I wasn't aware they were considered different certifications, and that employers looked for CE versions when specifying certification requirements for positions. I guess the ones I have are next to worthless, might as well be Windows NT 3.51 and Windows ME certifications.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow I was thinking of these because I have the lifetime Certs (A+, Net+ and Serv+)
    And planning to take Sec+ 401 in the coming days...

do you have any link from Comptia? That clear all of these!!

Thanks!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    It seems fair to me, I have to imagine the A+ 10 years ago was based on technology that may not even be used today. Probably XP? Security definitely makes sense as security changes so quickly.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I wasn't aware they were considered different certifications, and that employers looked for CE versions when specifying certification requirements for positions. I guess the ones I have are next to worthless, might as well be Windows NT 3.51 and Windows ME certifications.

Here: https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education