Options

Starting New

xXJudgexXJudge Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Just needed some quick reccomndations. I need this Network+ so I can start on my bachelor's degree at WGU Network Security that program includes The CCNA. However I do need a cert to begin with. I don't have any experience in networking I've been around computers since i was 10 but never got any certs or anything. I"m 26 now. I'm skipping the A+ as i feel many of those topics i have a general understanding just from messing around with computers for 16 years. What material to study should I get? And are there any courses or videos out there that you guys recommend for a total beginner in networking or any paid courses that help fast pace the learning process? I have about 4 hours everyday of complete silence at home so i have all the time in the world for the most part. Any tips or advice would help. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, welcome!

Second, there is no 'fast pace' learning system. One either picks up new information quickly (and can apply it) or they simply need more practice.

Download the objectives from CompTIA and go through those (item by item, it will take a bit) and identify areas you easily know, points you have heard of, and things that you have yet to learn.

Both Meyers and Sybex have excellent texts on the subject material, however, with both A+ and NET+ these are mostly definitions and topic points one can learn by doing some online research and/or working with older equipment.

You will likely want to set up a simple lab for yourself, but for NET+ that is not a necessity (it will help you long term). Feel free to post questions to topics you need/want some further explanation from on the board, those studying too will chime in as will folks who have long since passed their NET+.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thank you! I guess what I was trying to say is if there's any courses or paid courses that would make the learning process a little more helpful maybe in a more systematic way. I'll definitely will take a look at the objectives for the course.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    I'd recommend downloading Cisco Packet Tracer. This will allow you to apply your learning to a simulated network - view packets as they move through the encapsulation and DE capsulation process. I used Meyer's Network + Sixth Edition book and passed my exam on the first try.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Hey Moldy I looked up the sixth edition and could only find the fifth I could only find a sixth edition for the all in one.

I'd recommend downloading Cisco Packet Tracer. This will allow you to apply your learning to a simulated network - view packets as they move through the encapsulation and DE capsulation process. I used Meyer's Network + Sixth Edition book and passed my exam on the first try.
  • Options
    I found it on the main site guess amazon does not carry it