Options

CCNA or CCENT while in full time education

Cian_Cian_ Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm currently in my 3rd year of University studying Computer Security (which has quite a bit of networking in it), and plan on completing a MEng in Network Security once I graduate.

I'd love to get a CISCO Certification under my belt for when I graduate in the hopes that it will give me the edge over the competition when it comes to applying for jobs.

Would you recommend getting a CCNA or CCENT Certification while in still in college? I know it will be a lot of extra work, but I'm willing to put in the work if it will help with getting a job once I graduate.

If so, which would you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can handle the work load then go for it. Go for the CCENT (ICND1) first, then complete the ICND2 next to get your CCNA Routing and Switching certification.

If you want an edge over the competition, then look for an entry level networking internship or any IT related internship for that matter. Experience, coupled with a cert and a nice degree, will definitely give you an edge over your peers. Just my .02
  • Options
    nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your only options are to take ICND1 (CCENT) or the combined test to get your CCNA outright. If you are currently in school I would recommend splitting the tests. Do ICND1 first and then ICND2 as CertifiedMonkey suggests.

I just passed the ICND1 today and it took about 1.5 months of solid studying 2-3 hours per night. I have a full time job and a kid so you being in school would be similar. Time is precious you have to prioritize and sacrifice.
  • Options
    Cian_Cian_ Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply!

I'm definitely willing to put in the work, and I'll have access to routers and switches at College to practice and I'm sure my lecturers will be more than happy to give me advice and help along the way.

As far as an internship goes, I'll be doing 8 months of work experience in January, however I don't get to choose where I go so I could end up in a programming role instead of a networking, but I guess all I can do is hope for the best!
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can handle the work load then go for it. Go for the CCENT (ICND1) first, then complete the ICND2 next to get your CCNA Routing and Switching certification.

If you want an edge over the competition, then look for an entry level networking internship or any IT related internship for that matter. Experience, coupled with a cert and a nice degree, will definitely give you an edge over your peers. Just my .02

My thoughts exactly.