Options

Leave current employer or wait it out?

I'm currently working for a large multinational msp on helpdesk and been employed by them for 5 months.

I want to move into the telecoms/networks field so am currently in the process of gaining ccna certification with the exams booked for the end of this month.

I've reached out to the heads of the relevant departments and telecoms have got back to me and said they can arrange an interview as long as my people manager agrees. Now I'm at a bit of a sticking point. The service desk state they won't release people for other internal vacancies until they've served 9 months on the desk so it's looking like I won't have the opportunity to move within a relatively short timescale.

Would any of you have advice on whether I should stay and wait out the time or look for opportunities to move on with other employers?

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Stay.

You don't have your CCNA yet and its only 4 months away until you can (possibly) move onto a new spot. Get the CCNA in that time and then request to fill a vacancy if one exists.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you like the company? That would probably be the main factor for me. If you can see yourself working there long term, four more months isn't bad. It will probably take you longer than that to find another company you really like anyway.

On the other hand if you don't even like the company then start putting out some applications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stay put.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    The company isn't a bad emplover but the wages are the lowest around for helpdesk.

And 4 months isn't a long time, i guess I'm just a bit frustrated that my progression can be held up by what seems to me a pretty stupid rule
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    The company isn't a bad emplover but the wages are the lowest around for helpdesk.

And 4 months isn't a long time, i guess I'm just a bit frustrated that my progression can be held up by what seems to me a pretty stupid rule

I worked somewhere where it was 12 months and you had to do 6 months of overnight in that 12 months. Could alwasy be way worse.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Stay with your current employer if you like the company and like what you see beyond the desk.

Most companies at least have a 6 month waiting period, some longer. While you won't hit that hurdle if you did look elsewhere you WILL look like a job hopper and i promise you will be asked that while interviewing at other places.

If you like your current company (not the help desk) stay put and wait it out. Get your CCNA and start towards your CCNP or whatever other certification you want. If in 4 months they don't bring you into another position then look elsewhere. Realize by that point you will have your CCNA, a bit more experience and that alone will net you a higher position at another company.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You only have 5 months help desk experience and not even your CCNA yet... Where do you plan on going right now anyways? I mean if you don't like your job and the company doesn't pay well you should probably try and look elsewhere. But its gonna be tough with not much experience, even after you get your CCNA.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »

That rule is in place so that the help desk won't have a ridiculously high turnover rate. Look at it from their perspective: They hire someone, spend time training them, then this new person immediately wants to transfer to another department. The help desk managers need people to answer the phones, and fix issues.

Also, it probably won't look great to the networking department that you don't want to commit to the help desk for very long before changing positions, they may feel nervous you will do the same to them. Simply getting an interview with them doesn't get you the job, they have to like you as well. Lots of factors go into that.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stay all the way.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    You may think it's not necessary to stay another 4 months but whoever designed the system, they know that it takes usually atleast a year or so get semi proficient at the role you are in. Try to run away from your current position may give your future boss the wrong impression.