Options

Looking to get back into Cisco-related studies - advice needed

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
Hello TE!

In 2010 I started studying for my CCNA by via Cisco's Network Academy at a community college; my goal was to get an AAS in Network Technology, my CCNA, and then advance to a degree that transferred directly to a local University. I finished the academy with A+ grades, was prepping for my CCNA, and then I got a promotion at work (a completely different field from IT/networking). After 5 years of working in finance and even after taking classes towards an accounting degree, my desire to work within networking remains. A friend of mine in the Marines kind of rekindled my interest, as I helped him with subnetting and having discussions about different network-related topics. Now I really want to go back on that track. I do have some apprehensions and questions though:

Despite having gone through the network academy, pracitcing many CCNA prep exams, etc. I remember very little of what I learned 3-5 years ago. I remember certain IOS commands, certain networking rules, encapsulations, etc. but not nearly enough. Should I retake the NetAcad and go through a year's worth of network study to prep for my CCNA, or is there a way I can review this information? I'm learning towards retaking the network academy, as I am still employed and don't see the need to rush.

Subnetting. I was really good at it - I can even still do it (a little) but I am once again apprehensive about subnetting, despite being able to calculate networks in my head very easily.

Change. I'm a couple years from 30 and feel foolish wanting to go back into networking, not because of the field itself, but because I could have easily accomplished all this and been an experienced CCNP by now had I stuck with it. I guess I can't take back what I didn't do. I'm not very happy in my current field - meeting demands isn't rewarding in the least bit and networking as a subject interests me. So the motivation is there, but change is rather scary.

To summarize: I'm looking to get back into networking and my CCNA, not sure if I should retake the Network Academy but it seems like a good idea since it's been so long. Are there any suggestions for alternative study that could have me as I have a solid basis? Not sure if a career change at 28 is a good idea. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think most here prefer the self study route, I know I do, but if you have the time and means to take the academy then it won't hurt. A year is quite a long time to study for the CCNA though. You could pass in half that studying and labbing on your own easily. There are so many written and video resources available these days.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    I think most here prefer the self study route, I know I do, but if you have the time and means to take the academy then it won't hurt. A year is quite a long time to study for the CCNA though. You could pass in half that studying and labbing on your own easily. There are so many written and video resources available these days.

Thanks for the reply! I guess that's where I am kind of lost... I know you can get self-study guides, but I am unsure of which are good. I know I could easily read up and progress on my own, I'm just not sure which materials are good for someone with my particular scenario.