Options

Entry level network jobs are scarce, but high paying net admin/engineer are abundant

NoNameNoobNoNameNoob Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I studied for several months and managed to obtain my ccna r&s cert. I've been taking a look here and there for about 2 months now for entry level network jobs. Ive only seen 1, lv 1 noc job during this time. I can search now and literally see 40+ high paying network admin / network engineer jobs. It took me 9 months to get my first help desk job in IT, and always read the hardest part is getting in, but after that you'll be set. Will getting into a networking role turn into one of those situations? Thoughts? Thanks in adv.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The reason the jobs pay so much is because they are hard to get.

CCNA is a good start but there are few places where a junior admin sits and configures switches all day. Most junior roles include network admin tasks in Windows or Linux. There are more entry-level sysadmin jobs than there are junior network jobs, I suspect that combining that CCNA with an MCSA will pay larger dividends.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of places don't know what they want either.

Having IT experience is a good first step as is getting a CCNA. Where are you located? Are you opposed to relocating? What search terms are you using other than "NOC"?
  • Options
    NoNameNoobNoNameNoob Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    The reason the jobs pay so much is because they are hard to get.

CCNA is a good start but there are few places where a junior admin sits and configures switches all day. Most junior roles include network admin tasks in Windows or Linux. There are more entry-level sysadmin jobs than there are junior network jobs, I suspect that combining that CCNA with an MCSA will pay larger dividends.

Yeah i see now that there are a lot more system admin jobs than jr network jobs. How will it affect me in the long run, if i want to get into networking? If i got into a system admin job would that qualify me to move into a network engineer job later? or would i still be looking at entry level network jobs from there?

markulous wrote: »
    A lot of places don't know what they want either.

Having IT experience is a good first step as is getting a CCNA. Where are you located? Are you opposed to relocating? What search terms are you using other than "NOC"?

Ive been searching with a 30 mile radius around philly, my main search terms are noc / network / jr admin / analyst.

Thanks for the quick replies btw.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NoNameNoob wrote: »
    Yeah i see now that there are a lot more system admin jobs than jr network jobs. How will it affect me in the long run, if i want to get into networking? If i got into a system admin job would that qualify me to move into a network engineer job later? or would i still be looking at entry level network jobs from there?
    I swung out of the networking field a while ago and am just swinging back. Networking is a good field to be in but it's even better when you have credibility about non-networking things. "Bob, that Citrix app is interactive, maybe we should..." "What do you know about it, have you ever worked in a Citrix environment?"

Personally, I'd say that if you want to be good at networking, you need to know a something about a lot of different things. And the best way to do that is to do other jobs on your way up.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    get creative. Reasearch vendors around you that make networking equipment and try to get on their support teams, even network contractors bight be good if thats your type of thing. I get in by the first method. Moved to Tier 2, then became the system/network admin for the office. This in like 2 years. So being in the right area will really help too (sourthern california, northern california, dallas etc)
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Having grown up in the tristate area I'll tell ya you definitely are going to want to network with recruiters. Unless you're fresh out of school with some great internships or have some IT management friends in your circle you'll probably have a hard time.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to start contracting. I remember not too long ago, they looking to do some Branch office roll outs for access points and UTM/VPN appliances. All you needed was a Network+. 3 month contract. Those little opportunities make up for your pursuit in the long run.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's because companies don't need greenies who hardly know anything they need professionals who can support, design etc.