Options

Taking the CEH without the required experience

vicvgrvicvgr Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm thinking about taking the CEH, but currently I don't have the required years of information security experience.

What would happen if I do an official training and then I fail that first attempt?
Is in that case only needed to do a normal retake, or I wouldn't be able to do a normal retake because I don't have the required years of experience?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EC-Council, ISC(2) and ISACA either have light to more or less an honor system as to background experience with little to no actual enforcement.

As far as failing at the first attempt? Well, that's up to you to pass or fail but the exam is much easier now than years ago with versions 1-4 were scheduled. There are tons of books, videos and webpages galore to lead you through a passing grade. Failing the exam only means coughing up more money for the retake though you might search for a voucher for a discount, etc.

- b/eads
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    I sat a CEH v8 bootcamp without the necessary experience and had no issues passing the exam. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear EC Council's experience requirement (and the fee) is just a way to feed students to CEH bootcamps. Students at CEH bootcamps that use the official courseware do not have to pay the experience assessment fee. The best thing the bootcamp did was pare down EC Council's official courseware. At the end of every block of the v7 and v8 courseware were lists of tools. There was no attempt to identify which tools might be most effective for the task----just a list of tools. (I had bought the v7 courseware and videos from EC Council, but the video presenter read the slides verbatim---useless.)
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simply put:

Take an official class = skip the experience requirement
    Self study = pass the experience background check

For the retake, once you are "cleared" to take the test (whether it be through the official training or self study background check) you simply pay for the retake and give it another go
  • Options
    DCMB985DCMB985 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm contemplating taking this myself but I have no practical hacking experience. Is it worth pursuing if you're a complete beginner into the field? I'm currently reading the Sybex Book and AIO book along with an Udemy beginner to advanced ethical hacker course