Options

Retaining knowledge when persuing another Cert

jasonwall1212jasonwall1212 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
How do you guys go about on retaining the knowledge you gained from one cert once you start studying for another one. for example: studying for CCNA for 6 months and then start studying for the MTA/MCSA cert(which takes around 6-8 months) How would you go about keeping your CCNA skills while learning server skills?

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you guys go about on retaining the knowledge you gained from one cert once you start studying for another one. for example: studying for CCNA for 6 months and then start studying for the MTA/MCSA cert(which takes around 6-8 months) How would you go about keeping your CCNA skills while learning server skills?

I make a point to use the skills. I try to implement as much stuff as possible at work, the rest i try to do on my lab at home. Yes a lot does slip by.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is the reason why I do very few certifications, they have to align with my career goals and current. If not I don't bother, I prefer learning to be organic. If I have to force feed something it means I am off path.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Honestly I tried picking up Network Warrior after my CCNA and it was a snoozer. I tend to just browse forums of certs I have and see if I can figure out the answer to problems people are having. If not I do some research to refresh myself on the topic. Admittedly though I only do this maybe 2 times a month because I generally enjoy this forum more and don't spend too much time on here.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□

We're in a use it or loose it kind of field. Its just human physiology to retain useful information and slowly forget that which is not important to our hunter/gathering mindset. From practice comes power.

- b/eads
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I accept that some of the knowledge is going to fade away and the longer I don't use it the more it's going to fade. That being said, I know that I can pick a lot of it right back up with a little refresh or if my daily job requires it. Other things I don't think I'll ever forget such as how to make a network cable, the 7 layers of the OSI model, and subnetting.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I agree with b/eads. There's so many technical details and technologies in our field and it's very difficult to retain stuff that you do not use, let alone think of, on a regular basis. I definitely think it's helpful to have refreshers every once in a while.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework