Options

Help In Deciding Which Career/Degree Choice.

MovieVillainMovieVillain Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I've always been interested in computers but I'm not tech savy to say the least, I want to get into the tech field but have no clue which route to go, cyber security has always interested me, Question is which IT degree should I aim for? I'm currently finishing up my GE's in college and have to pick a major soon, I just want to get into the tech field but something that doesn't require math (my worst subject) I don't mind a tedious mind numbing job, long as it pays 50+k a year I'll do anything, also I'm afraid of heights and crawlspaces, don't know if that helps, i know some IT guys do work in some crazy situations. I also don't want to deal with people all day like a help desk job, I rather be behind a computer alone, some interaction is cool, I've had a customer service job for past 7 years and I'm done with it. Thanks for the help guys.

My current university offers a degree's in B.S Game Programming and Development, Graphic Design & Media Arts, B.S/B.A Information Technologies, B.S Management Information Systems. These are the major's the school offers, got to pick one soon. Let me know what you guys think. As I said I'm horrible at math and not that bright when it comes to schoolwork (barely passing my classes) But I'm willing to learn and put in the hours if it means a good paying (50+K job, just enough to live a comfortable simple life) I don't much care about the money as I care more about having a career I can be proud to tell my family/friends about. I appreciate the help guys.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Is that what your are interested in? If so, go for it. In the end, it has to be YOUR choice.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Thanks Scared, Ya I was just hoping you guys as professionals and actually been in the field/know it would offer up the best course to take as far as the degree's I listed.
  • Options
    What interests you the most? Go with that. Take a few courses(from each degree) and see how you like it.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your really asking the board what will get you a job in 2-4 years without knowing anything about the programs above strengths and weaknesses. Its a tough row to hoe, so to speak and frankly, none of us has that kind of crystal ball as IT changes "almost hourly" in security, some days.

What works for one may not work for another. Under the above scenario and tepid level of commitment I would council pursuing a more generalist program and seeing what sticks best for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, I just wanted to know for starters which of those degree's I mentioned would involve very little math. I know some IT degree's/jobs deal with math Like Computer Science, which is why I decided against that, heck I could barely pass my algebra class. I'm just asking as far those degree's I mentioned which one would you guys personally do if you had to start a new career in computers, I'm just trying to get all the info I can from experts like you guys so I can make a choice between those degree's I listed in my original post.
  • Options
    Look at the classes you have to take to get the degree. I understand about the math, but you have to do what you need to do to get a degree. There might be a math course you have to take. Trust me, I hate math (I have dyslexia, so math and I have had a feud like forever, LOL).