Options

Have you ever taken a job in an area you don't neccessarily have interest in?

inverse_oneinverse_one Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
Have any of you done a jump to a job that was in an area of IT you didn't have that much interest in, but could do?

Let me explain - I'm a JOAT type, but really only have an interest in networking and security. I want to start specializing in my interests, but due to job market etc, I felt the need to apply to things I don't really have a high interest in, but could do the job (Due to monetary reasons). Because of all my systems work with customers in my current job as a technical support engineer, I'm considering a systems engineer job.

Additionally, I still like going home at the end of the day, as a technical support engineer, not having to deal with systems after hours or maintaining them, but obviously am not starting to overlook that for money. So maybe I'm thinking of getting a senior technically support role somewhere. Maybe someone knows of similar roles I should target.

Appreciate any feedback or advice you guys have.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    JOAT (jack of all trades)? Yes, I have done several jumps in my career. I have learned a lot doing that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    inverse_oneinverse_one Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So my concern is, will I start "pidgin holing" my career by getting a systems engineer job and want to go into security or networking later?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Pigeon holing? You might, but you could also set up a lab at home that you can practice security or networking to gain more experience. Don't stress about the unknowns. Life is hard enough.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Generally JOAT jobs allow you manage your time and don't have people lording over you. Spend as much time you can doing security related stuff and maybe theorize some projects you can get started on to better your IT environment. Having taken the reigns on stuff like that and being able to include it on your resume/speak in detail of how, why, etc is great.
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does the new role have more networking and security than you current role? If so it's definitely a step in the right direction.