Options

Networking Models

rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
Does the CCNA exam expect that I’ll be able to answer questions about the original 4 Layer TCP/IP model or just the updated 5 Layer model?

For example, if I get a question such as “At which Layer of the TCP/IP Networking Model does the IP Protocol operate?” the answer would be L2 (The Internet Layer) of the original 4 Layer, but L3 (The Network Layer) of the updated 5 Layer model.

I suppose really what I’m asking is, do documents and (more importantly) exams still reference the original 4 Layer TCP/IP model or just the updated 5 Layer model?

Thanks.
No longer an active member

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Rob,

The blueprint only mentions that you should be able to "compare and contrast the OSI and TCP/iP models" but does not specify which of the TCP/IP models. So you should probably just know both. Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's only a small section of the 15% of the exam, so you may only get 1-2 questions or none at all. Just know both :)
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    koz24 wrote: »
    Hey Rob,

The blueprint only mentions that you should be able to "compare and contrast the OSI and TCP/iP models" but does not specify which of the TCP/IP models. So you should probably just know both. Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's only a small section of the 15% of the exam, so you may only get 1-2 questions or none at all. Just know both :)

Thank you for taking the time to reply; I'll heed your advice.

Cheers. icon_thumright.gif
    No longer an active member