Options

MS SQL2014 question

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me out with this as im having trouble. I use software that has a patient database and the same patients often comes back for multiple visits. I have the software on 3 computers though as some computers are in use by other people.(no assigned computers).

I downloaded SQL 2014, exported the patient database as a .bak. Imported it in SQL and now I am trying to connect to it from another computer but no luck. Is it this simple or am I missing steps?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Can you see the other computer on your network?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This might be helpful to you. You might need to do some configuration changes on the sql server in order to access it from a different machine.
    ://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345343.aspx
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If Windows firewall is enabled, ensure TCP 1433 is open on the SQL server. From the client, setting up an ODBC to the database server may be successful. When setting up the ODBC, you'll know if your firewall rule is working as you should be able to see the databases.
  • Options
    Can you see the other computer on your network?

Yes I can see a couple other computers on the network, one being the file server.
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote: »
    If Windows firewall is enabled, ensure TCP 1433 is open on the SQL server. From the client, setting up an ODBC to the database server may be successful. When setting up the ODBC, you'll know if your firewall rule is working as you should be able to see the databases.

Firewall is enabled but even if all the computers are on the same subnet I would need to open port TCP1433?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, because that is the TCP port SQL listens on for connections. If you enable the SQL Browser service you'll also have to open the firewall for UDP 1434. However, ensure you're following best practices for security (i.e. use a low privileged account for the service).

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043(v=sql.110).aspx

For SQL Browser info:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=sql.105).aspx
  • Options
    Okay thanks! I'll give it a try
  • Options
    adam9870adam9870 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On Proporties of instance (Connections page) in SQL Server Managament Studio must select option "allow remote connections to this server'.
  • Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And since you are dealing with patient data, change the port from the default 1433 to something non-standard.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance