Options

Should I Tackle the eJPT?

Hello Again TE,

Fall is around the corner and for me it is the best time to study since it gets dark around 6PM. :c( I have finally recovered from the hardcore studying of the CISSP which I passed several months ago and back in heavy duty learning mode. I would like to tackle a real world type certification this time around. I do not plan to be a pen tester at all but since I do "blue team" tasks (Systems Security Engineer) it would be nice to dive a bit deeper and also to better understand how the "enemy" thinks.

Looks like the eJPT would be perfect for this. I don't expect any ROI on it but just hoping to learn skills I can use in the real world and for knowledge sake.

Questions:

1. Did you actually learn much from the eJPT course?
2. Is the course all I need to pass the exam?
3. If I study fully dedicated for 6 hours/day (8-10 hours on weekends/day), how long roughly do you think it would take to pass the cert? I am hoping I can bang it out in 2-3 weeks as I study/learn better that way with short time goals.
4. Do I need to know Linux really well? I can work my way around on Linux but no way a guru in it, I google stuff all the time but always get the job done.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1: Yes
    2: Yes
    3: Depends on how you understand the material. Since it's really different and hands on it just depends.
    4: No but it'll help to know how to use some Linux commands and bash scripting. Commands for piping > >> < | along with grep. Also knowing how to use the cat command and cut command can help as well. vim is also good to know how to use to edit files.

If you need help during the course, you are welcome to ask questions here or the ELS forums. But everything you need to know IS in the course. Just take notes and practice the labs a lot until you know them very well and you should be okay.

I think it's a good way to know more about pentesting and plus, its really cheap!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Thanks for the quick response James! Cutting, cat command, changing config files is second nature for me. Will have to touch up more on piping, but that won't take long.

Did you go for the PTS Full or Elite, and why did you decide to choose that one?

I am already getting excited just thinking about this. :c)

Thanks!
  • Options
    I did the Elite because I had more time to complete the course and test. I finished everything over a year. But when I actually got into the course and doing the labs, it took me 2 months with a little more focus. The test is really easy since its hands on and answering questions.

I'm working on the eCPPT now but I have other certifications that I have to get. The eCPPT goes into way more detail and a little more outside studying needs to happen in order to understand somethings unless previous experience has been gained with certain things like PHP, Buffer Overflows, Assembly and other things that someone might not have experience with.

For the eJPT course, they'll go over basic Python stuff but its boring. I suggest checking out how to write a DNS lookup script and writing it out, then finding out how to write a script for a port scanner in Python. But learning the basics for any scripting/programming language will help out.

It can be a little difficult knowing what does what in a script or a program but with time, things will become clear. I didn't even know what socket.(whatever) is until I had to look it up and I didn't even know the proper terms to use in order to find out what I was trying to find out.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Would love to hear other's thoughts on the eJPT that obtained the cert.

Thanks!
  • Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    I would as well, I definitely plan on taking the course I am curious as to what experience I should have beforehand though? I was thinking of waiting until after I get my CEH
  • Options
    There are a few of us on here who has taken the eJPT and wrote reviews. Have you all checked them out?
    Booya!!