Options

Linux+ Question

So for the Linux+ would I be fine using any distro of Linux as a lab? Or are there specific ones?

I planning on just using Ubuntu, would this suffice?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You would need to use a few different distros depending on what release
    of Ubuntu you have. You would need a distro with the rpm/yum tools, a distro with the dpkg/APT tools, and then a system that uses systemd and one that uses SysVInit.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    So for the Linux+ would I be fine using any distro of Linux as a lab? Or are there specific ones?

I planning on just using Ubuntu, would this suffice?

Thanks

You might want to look at the exam objectives before you plan anything.
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    OP

Ubuntu will cut it for about 95% of the exam(s). You'll need to understand the differences between YUM (Red Hat updater though technically from Yellowdog Linux) and apt-get. There are also some differences in the files used in networking & system configuration on Red Hat/CentOS versus Ubuntu. And the major difference is in Red Hat you create a root account whereas in Ubuntu you do not.

Another reason you might want a copy of Red Hat/CentOS is to learn the differences between SystemV (5) and SystemD. Ubuntu has used systemd for a while now. Cent OS 6 uses SystemV. If you don't know what I mean, think "telinit".

As for your chosen distribution, it's really a personal thing. Myself, I like Linux Mint (Debian) with MATE. In the real world you'll find that anything web based is usually Ubuntu whereas anything corporate is probably Red Hat. In the end there isn't many differences and you can just google them if you need.

DO understand RPM, RPM2CPIO, etc.