Career Question

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
If I wish to ba a network architect or similar or higher post
is it advisable to study ccie after CCNP?
I just feel that I don't want to do noc work in years to come.

Comments

• TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Considering Network Architect is top of the line, I would say CCIE may be required.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Trucido wrote: »
    Considering Network Architect is top of the line, I would say CCIE may be required.
    No it's not. Experience is still and will always be king.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    joetest wrote: »
    No it's not. Experience is still and will always be king.
    I second that sentiment.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    I am on the same ship as you. And this is what a Network Architect for a fortune 100 company told me when I had my career development session with him. Yes Certifications are important, but a Network Architect is not only responsible for Network(Routing and switching), but is also responsible for everything you put in the Network (FIrewalls, Voice, Video, server farms everything), Certification will give you the technical knowledge, but working in different areas and building your experience and skillset as you go will definitely help you get there.

All the best :)
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    I just feel that I don't want to do noc work in years to come.

An architect is responsible for converting business requirements into technical specifications, they need to know which questions to ask and how to fill in the gaps between the answers. It's a nice goal to have but you need to know a lot about a lot. CCIE would be helpful as would experience with virtualization technology (VMware, Citrix). And then don't forget the storage and backup. And that's before you even get into knowledge about the business.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not necessarily, but the networking aspect of your career would be much more polished & focused as a result.
    But if that's your ultimate goal, you may want to spend that time focused on other aspects of the architect role. Ultimately, it is your journey so how much time you want to spend with networking expertise is up to you.
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    I find that I don't know what I want in life. IT seems to be a never ending journey of learning.
    Network then firewall then servers, how do you know what you want in life?

My colleague with CCIE has been working day and night with little rest. And I always wonder: do I want that kind of life with 6K a month? I am indeed wondering whether the 6k CCIE is worth it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can easily make more than $6k a month without a CCIE and working long hard hours. It will take some work though and yes you'll have to keep learning.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    How? Network architect?
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    A CCIE won't land you an Architect role on it's own but it would definitely not hurt your chances.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find that I don't know what I want in life. IT seems to be a never ending journey of learning.
    Network then firewall then servers, how do you know what you want in life?

My colleague with CCIE has been working day and night with little rest. And I always wonder: do I want that kind of life with 6K a month? I am indeed wondering whether the 6k CCIE is worth it.

$6k a month ain't a bad earning at all (depending on where you live of course), and I would classify that as a salary of an early higher level earning range for an IE capable person. Can you make more? Absolutely! It just depends on what you do and for what company, etc. I am not too far away from that earning potential and I am NO WHERE NEAR architect level. (assuming we are talking about $6k take home).

Will CCIE help get you there? Absolutely! But as mentioned earlier an architect is more of a broader role that interfaces with many other teams at a high level. So do you need IE? No, but it wouldn't hurt and would make you more a marketable person to get architect level roles. I would be prepared to learn about other IT services aspects such as storage, cloud, VM services, big data, etc if architect is the ultimate goal.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi