Options

Next career step from IT Support

lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am new here, but been reading some stuff here lately. I feel I need some career advice in IT from the experienced people in here.
I currently work as a IT tech support for a retailer in Australia, I have a masters in IT , but wish to enter the networking field. I have read and watched techies say that its difficult to get in, and people stay on lower roles for long time. I am currently studying W.Odom's CCNA ICND1 book , just for knowledge sake. Its been great so far and I like learning about networking. I do not have any previous networking related job experience, but I have studied networking during my engineering. The current job is just laptop/pc servicing type role and its paying me enough but zero job satisfaction. There is also no path for progress here.

My problem is I wish somehow to get my foot through in a networking role, even if it is lower role, like a network support technician or network operation technician. My questions are:

- Is it absolutely necessary to get CCNA certified to work in a networking profile, or is a thorough knowledge enough?
- I thought for applying to Network Test Analyst roles, where there is a python testing and networking combo required. I havent seen many roles like those to apply. (I have self taught Python )
- What about Helpdesk roles? Are they a good stepping stone or should I just target networking roles only?
- what will be a good starting role for networking field? I am currently extremely fed up of my current job which i do part time and I wish to change jobs.

Kindly lend me your best advice as I am a bit lost atm , when it comes to deciding at the next step of action. As I said I like networking, and I am sincere and dedicated to whatever I study and focus on, just that I cant be learning always and not getting the type of work to do , for which I am spending hours studying on weekends.

Thanks guys,

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Any one with some advice, please. I am a bit confused about my current situation.

Thanks.
  • Options
    atran35atran35 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Usually a Network Administrator would have his/her CCNA.

Career direction = Help Desk or IT Support; Network Administrator; Network Engineer; Senior Network Engineer; Manager; Director.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes get your CCNA or if thats too hard at ths point start with the Network+. Having the certificate will give you more value than saying i know the stuff especially since you do not have any experience in the networking area to begin with.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Thorough knowledge isn't enough unfortunately. While true knowledge will get you further in the application process without the certification you resume will likely be passed up.

Get your ccna if you are serious about networking.
  • Options
    From what I have read and experienced from the professionals in this field, a cert wont necessarily guarantee a job, the knowledge certainly will help me to crack the interview. so i am studying the ICND1 wendell odom book currently. I will give a try for the certification, but what I really need is some experience in this field. Plus I think the way the ICND1 exam is designed, I think its too demanding on the time factor, and I might struggle with it.

Network + is definitely an option.

Any one get hired without a cert for a networking role?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Try getting on at a Network Operations Center? While learning and reading from that book?
  • Options
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    Thorough knowledge isn't enough unfortunately. While true knowledge will get you further in the application process without the certification you resume will likely be passed up.

Get your ccna if you are serious about networking.

Okay. Thats a bummer! :/
  • Options
    Try getting on at a Network Operations Center? While learning and reading from that book?

Okay. Thanks for the advice. Also I have self taught python and am decent in my scripting skills, maybe not algorithmic expert, but can write scripts to automate basic stuff. Is there any chance I could break in with a Network Analyst or testing role? Dont they require python and networking knowledge for those kind of roles?

(I have done tons of research on ways to get in networking :p) Want to know, what really is true and whats just rubbish on internet.
  • Options
    okay. What about the Network testing roles?
  • Options

yes , unfortunately not many NOC roles where I stay.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's another vote for "Get your CCNA".

The CCNA will get you through the first line of the HR process--which is usually a non-technical recruiter who is only looking for key words on your resume, and yes one of them is obviously CCNA.

Of course experience and "knowledge" trumps certificates, but since you have no experience, getting the CCNA means you get the knowledge AND the cert.

Don't look at it as a bummer cause that's a bummer. Look at it like a great opportunity to learn some cool stuff. Your hard work will pay off eventually.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Here's another vote for "Get your CCNA".

The CCNA will get your through the first line of the HR process--which is usually a non-technical recruiter who is only looking for key words on your resume, and yes one of them is obviously CCNA.

Of course experience and "knowledge" trumps certificates, but since you have no experience, getting the CCNA means you get the knowledge AND the cert.

Don't look at it as a bummer cause that's a bummer. Look at it like a great opportunity to learn some cool stuff. Your hard work will pay off eventually.

I dont mind appearing for the cert mate. I wish to get certified, but I have heard only discouraging things about the test with the time constraint and high pass %. Also appearing for it will require another 3-4 months of solid study, and keeping the day job, thats not much time to study. I wish to transition into another role but not after 6-7 months.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lloris_20 wrote: »
    I dont mind appearing for the cert mate. I wish to get certified, but I have heard only discouraging things about the test with the time constraint and high pass %. Also appearing for it will require another 3-4 months of solid study, and keeping the day job, thats not much time to study. I wish to transition into another role but not after 6-7 months.

It's a process that takes time, if you want to be given the opportunity and be considered for a role that you have no experience in then you need to at least show knowledge via certification. Like i said earlier, if the 6-7 months of CCNA study is too much, do a 1-2 month study for Network+, the knowledge gained by this can be used in your CCNA studies for the next level and next jump of your career.

Will you be given the opportunity to be interviwed for those roles if you do not have experience or certifications? Someone will give you the chance for the interview yes. Will they offer you the job? Highly unlikely.
    Will you be given an opportunity to be interviewed for those roles if you have Network + or CCNA plus your current experience? Someone will, yes. Will they offer you an entry networking role? The chances and probability of that happening increase from the previous approach.

Nothing is easy when it comes to getting a job, you are competing against other qualified people so you need to at least get something to compete with and that means spending the time to getting a certificate or relevant experience.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @ lloris_20;

TheForce is absolutely correct on this one. Rarely do we have the luxury of time to study so we individually have to find ways of making it work. IT has forever been a difficult field to break into, even in the best of circumstances. OK the dot com boom being a notable exception but also history.

Finding time to study and review is the first hurdle. I like follow physiology of the brain and study for 20 minutes, take a short break and think about what it is I am studying, review and move on. Twenty minutes is nothing to me. I do this before leaving for work; once or twice a day at work and a couple of times in the evening. This way I get at least 2 hours of study time each day, every day, 7/365. No excuses. This is the way of modern IT life and its not going to change.

For longer tests and certification work your looking at a lifetime of developed study habits. Prepare accordingly.

Now as far as the career path you should be drinking in as much networking both on the administration side as well as the network engineering side as you can muster. Start a good but cheap lab either virtual or supplemented physical lab as you can get your hands on as nothing beats hands on learning and makes for an even more compelling interview story. "Why as a matter of fact. Yes, I have my own virtual enterprise lab at home I would be happy to test that idea..." Whatever it takes and sometimes the effort to get over the hill can feel a bit ridiculous but often enough that's what it takes to get your foot in the door here.

Please ask questions. Be optimistic and persevere!

Good luck!

- b/eads
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□

If you want to be a network engineer you will need to put in lots of time into study. 6-7 months of after-work study for the CCNA is child's play compared to other certs. Not to mention, how do you expect someone to give you a role you are not qualified for(at the moment)?

Also I think you are confusing the CCNA and CCIE passing rates. The first time passing rate for the CCIE is extremely low, but the CCNA passing rate is much, much higher. Also don't worry about what other people say about passing rates and the difficulty. If you study for it the right way, you will pass first try and it will pay off in the long run.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A career in IT, especially system admin or network infrastructure, means signing up for a career of study and exams. You're free to stop at any time but realize that especially in IT, if you aren't moving forward, you're slowly moving backward. If you can't get motivated for a lower mid-range cert like a CCNA, are you sure this is the industry for you?
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    A career in IT, especially system admin or network infrastructure, means signing up for a career of study and exams. You're free to stop at any time but realize that especially in IT, if you aren't moving forward, you're slowly moving backward. If you can't get motivated for a lower mid-range cert like a CCNA, are you sure this is the industry for you?

I am motivated, will start with my Net + first, just to get a feel of the IT exams .

I believe from what I have read, Net + is a cakewalk as compared to CCNA exam.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Appreciate it!