Options

Rebuilding Cisco Home lab advise needed.

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Evening,
O'k I got some new equipment and it took me a bit to get the Skeletek Expansion unit attached to the original 12 U rack.
My issue now is how to install all the equipment. Logic says heaviest equipment at the bottom and lighter equipment at the top unless there is a better way ? In addition once of my former co-workers says I should put sand bags on the back of the lab to hold it down ? I have attached a Picture of my current lab Any feedback would be helpful.

Current lab
1 2811 used as an Access Server
3 1841 Routers
2 2950 switches
1 3550 Switch

New Equipment
1 2811 router
1 3560 POE switch
1 ASA 5520
1 Skeletek 12u Expansion rack.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most freestanding racks are bolted down to the floor with threaded anchors that are in cement. I agree with putting the heaviest stuff at the bottom. Depending on how full you plan to fill it, it might not hurt trying to attach some sort of anchor into a 2x4 in your wall and have a metal cable going from the top of your rack to the wall to prevent tipping. However that may be overkill, it does seem like it has a wide base to prevent tipping.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes, it is usually better to put the heavier equipment at the bottom and the lighter at the top.
    But, it is also easier to keep the switches together and the routers together. That makes switch to switch cabling shorter. And, the same if you have serial wan ports on the routers.

if you put the rack bracket at the edge of the equipment, all the weight will be on one side of the rack. And, it will be more likely to tip in that direction. But, on many pieces of equipment the brackets can be mounted more toward the center, making the rack less tippy.

and a little insurance like a weight, book, etc. to make the rack less tippy never hurts

206599.jpg