Options

Question about certification path

mareSLOmareSLO Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there everyone, new around these parts, its actually my first post :)
I'm an IT Engineer by degree, i don't actually work in the field yet, but that is my wish. In the long run i would like to do something in security, preferably penetration testing.

I'v been tinkering with computers since i was little, and have never lost the passion for it. Would starting with a+, network+, security+ be a good starting point ? Where would i go from there, if i wanted to do penetration testing later down the road. Can someone provide a cert path for me. Like a beginner to advanced certification path for a pen tester. I know i ask a lot, but i'm pretty sure there are other people, that were once in a similar situation to me.
And sorry about my english, not my first language.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go for network +, security +, ccna, mcsa, linux, oscp.

If i had to do a path now, I'd do that, plus learn any scripting languages that you can, powershell, bash, python,
  • Options
    Tnx for the recommendation, hope to see some other ones.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not an expert but here's my thoughts: Net+->CCNA->Sec+->eJPT/eCPT->OSCP
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    mauguilarmauguilar Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try this A+(optional), Network+, Security+(depend on where you wanna work, more optional I would say), MCSA, CCNA,
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You mentioned you have an IT degree? What degree is it, and when did (or do) you obtain it?

Some of the entry level stuff like A+, Net+, and Sec+ could potentially be skipped if you have a legit degree. Generally you learn those basics through a degree program. I would look a the blue prints to these exams to see if anything on them is foreign to you. If so, then perhaps studying for and taking those would be worthwhile, however I am guessing you already have a decent knowledge

I would recommend looking into some of the advanced security certifications like CASP as there is no experience requirement.
  • Options
    BuzzSaw wrote: »
    You mentioned you have an IT degree? What degree is it, and when did (or do) you obtain it?

Some of the entry level stuff like A+, Net+, and Sec+ could potentially be skipped if you have a legit degree. Generally you learn those basics through a degree program. I would look a the blue prints to these exams to see if anything on them is foreign to you. If so, then perhaps studying for and taking those would be worthwhile, however I am guessing you already have a decent knowledge

I would recommend looking into some of the advanced security certifications like CASP as there is no experience requirement.

I went to a Vocational College and did an It Engineer degree. It's a 2 year program. Unfortunately for me, the only thing i got out of it, was a piece of paper and not a lot of hands on practical knowledge. That's why i don't want to skip the 3 basic cert's, will probably learn more from them, then the 2 years of college i did. I already started watching some professor messer videos :)[h=2][/h][h=2][/h][h=2][/h]
  • Options
    vfr clownvfr clown Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you feel that you really dont know the basics then go through the A+, Net+, Sec+ and then see what you like the most, systems, networking, or security. You can go in alot of directions from there and should easily find a decent job in IT in one of those disciplines. Thats an inexpensive route and should take less than a year.
    AOS Computer Systems
    AA General Studies
    BSNOS - 2019