If a job doesn't work out

ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those of you who have had a job not work out:

I have been working at a help desk position for the past 6 months, when I was informed things were just not working out. I had suspected I wasn't fitting in with this particular team.

I have learned a lot during this time, and think another go at a different place would work just fine. Only problem is how to convince another hiring manager to give me a chance?

What have you done to get through the various "firewalls" in the hiring process after such a situation? If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Contract ran out, that is what I said. Curious, did they like your work? Could you use them as a reference? If not, do not use them as a reference and do not check for HR to call.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really just depends on how you were let go. Were you a contractor? If so you can just say that "it was a contract role" and that'll be the end of the questioning most likely. If you were a temp to hire, you could say it was a temp role. If you were hired and they actually fired you then you'll have to come up with a different way to explain it.

It's really all about how you spin it, don't totally lie, but there are more favorable ways of saying the same thing. Telling a hiring manager "I don't think I got along with the team so they let me go" is pretty much a death sentence in an interview. If you just focus on "convincing another hiring manager" then you're already on the defensive which isn't a good way to start.
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a supervisor reference from them, but the rest of management would probably not be as supportive.
    Well, then say you were a temp and give the supervisor's reference. End of story
    In that case I was making a bit much of it. Thanks
    Good luck.
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    It really just depends on how you were let go. Were you a contractor? If so you can just say that "it was a contract role" and that'll be the end of the questioning most likely. If you were a temp to hire, you could say it was a temp role. If you were hired and they actually fired you then you'll have to come up with a different way to explain it.

It's really all about how you spin it, don't totally lie, but there are more favorable ways of saying the same thing. Telling a hiring manager "I don't think I got along with the team so they let me go" is pretty much a death sentence in an interview. If you just focus on "convincing another hiring manager" then you're already on the defensive which isn't a good way to start.

A good line is "the position was not a good fit for me or the organization." I know this is because I used this line for my current job. However, what helped me was that I worked at one retail gig for almost a year in between.

I had a rough go it: my contract "ended" (as in they weren't bringing me back) and I had a rough summer of trying to find another job. I ended up working at Walgreens for almost a year.

I really think holding down a job after the bad experience will really help if it comes to that.

Also, do not get down on yourself! I cannot stress this enough.
  • skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been there.

Got burnt on a position that turned out to not be what was sold to me.

- System administrator job that I didn't even have full access to system's I was on call and responsible for even after probation. Manager didn't show up till 11am and left at 1pm never to be seen again till next day or to take credit for something that was finished. I got stuck doing off the wall work for the owner like personal household grey area. Installing a video doorbell, help home internet installers at her mothers house, step up laptop for her brother. Real resume building stuff...icon_cry.gif

Was looking for new job before my probation period was up. Finally found one after six months. Hardest thing was trying to do phone / in person interviews with no PTO saved up. I remember doing a few on lunch in my car via skype in another parking lot out of ear shot of any other co workers lol.

As for finding a different position so soon... just be honest. Less stressful and easier to keep up vs keeping up a lie. It'll catch up to you sooner or later. When I met with my now manager in the interview I got the same question you are worried about. I just said it wasn't what I expected or signed on for. Describe the type of environment I was looking for and wanted to grow. I wasn't going to get that at previous position. He actually just came from a similar spot and left for same reason. I sold myself best I could and was invited to the team few weeks later.

Take what you can from the position while you are there. Even bad ones have good lessons and can learn from it. Stumbles happen. Its okay. Don't let a step back stop you from taking a leap forward somewhere else.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Involuntary separation.
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!
  • bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in exactly the same position when I started out on a help desk. It never worked out because I was already more clued up than the 2nd/3rd liners on the same help desk as me. After 5 months I left on bad terms, however I sent out an e-mail to competing companies and turned it on it's head, in the sense I claimed that I had outgrown that role and wanted to be challenged doing 2nd/3rd line work.