Options

have an MBA - which entry-level Cybersecurity course ?

Aarav2016Aarav2016 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello

I wanted to ask if anyone had a recommendation for an entry-level cybersecurity course ? I see that a few exist but you would think with all the noise about lack of cyber professionals, more energy would be put into communicating "how to get into" the field

Here are some links I have found:

CyberSecurity Fundamentals, ISACA Training Week Las Vegas

Introduction to Information Security, SANS https://www.sans.org/event/seattle-2016/course/intro-information-security

Security Essentials Bootcamp, SANS https://www.sans.org/course/security-essentials-bootcamp-style

CyberSecurity, University of Maryland, Coursera https://www.coursera.org/specializations/cyber-security

I am about to graduate with my MBA and am interested in taking my MBA and blending it with cybersecurity training and entering the field of cybersecurity. I obsviously would like to get some sort of reputable training first, my university offers nothing in cybersecurity. I assume "brand/sponsor" of course would be important, from a resume or LinkedIn point of view.

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out the free (and excellent) training at www.cybrary.it
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    As an alumna of UMUC's (University of Maryland University College) online masters program in Cybersecurity, I will say it's cheaper than a SANS course. It's $4000+ for each 6-credit online Masters course at UMUC. Their online degree program is marketed to students who have no background in IT or cybersecurity. The course content was not that great. Makes me wonder if they are recycling the lecture videos from the online courses as Coursera content.

You might consider reading a Security+ prep book or two before spending $5000+ on a SANS course. Security+ is a good beginner cert for cybersecurity, so you can use it to gauge your interest and aptitude for additional cybersecurity studies.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on your goals. Are you trying to learn security from an MBA standpoint so you have some understanding of how risk works within the security side of business or looking to move into security as a career? Knowledge or certification? The two are very different animals but at the end of the day reducing risk is what security is really trying to accomplish.

- b/eads
  • Options
    SteffGirlSteffGirl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Brother, please let me ask you a question. i'm looking at enrolling in UMU College for their masters in Cybersecurity. Is the school good in that program. Please advise me based on your experience. I also, am looking at starting with some certifications in security, please what are your advise for me. I am new here and i need someone to please help me with some advise. Thank you.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @SteffGirl;

Then start with Security+ and build up a repertoire of skills like everyone else. I think you will find that the security field is really indifferent to the whole "where you went to college" thing - we just don't or shouldn't care. Security is only concerned with your skill level. Nothing more. Nothing less. Personal preferences aside. I have contacted directly by a number of cross-over people with no skill but a "master's in security" who are bewildered they cannot get a job, let alone an interview.

Skills and experience first then more academia. Your pocketbook will thank-you.

- b/eads