Options

Starting 98-361 for fun

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

I used to develop in VB pre-.net and now days mainly Python and BASH for day to day Linux admin stuff. How ever, I recently pointed MTA as a possible way for a friend to break into IT. To be supportive I am starting the MTA 98-361 track with him. I have to say I fired up Cbtnuggets and learned a lot, I was initially thinking this was gonna be a weekend cert for me but I guess not.

Battle plan -
1) Play with C#, via "learn C# in 21 days" books
2) Watch all the Microsoft MVA videos (amazing they just give this away!!)
3) Work through the CBTnuggets
4) Bought a copy of "Exam 98-361 MTA Software Development Fundamentals " from amazon

Hoping I can get this one done by the end of October. Realistic? Plan is 2 hours a day of reading/videos and 6 hours total on weekends of lab time,
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll follow this thread! My friend is just about to start this track and ultimately go down the MCSD route.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Alright, just finished this exam today and passed. My company paid for the exam, so I wasn't too worried if I was ready or not for it. So I just took it thinking I would retake in a month. But I did manage to pass.

Some thoughts -
    1) c# in 24 Hours was right on to the C#, everything you need to code is in there. Do this first.
    2) Even though I selected "C#" as my language I had VB.net on my exam. Be ready for that but learning some VB also. So you might need to spend 3-4 hours working though a VB for dummies book just to get used to the slight differences in the languages
    3) Official Courseware - Overall really poorly put together. It's closer to one of those church give away books than an actual text or educational book.
    4) Cbt nuggets was on the mark with everything. HOWEVER, it is VERY poorly structured. Often jumping into concept and using terminology not really defined. I would say Garth is so tied to exam objectives he forgets to teach C#. But it does get bonus points for it's lab access and cutting right to the points of the exam if you already know c#, asp.net, xhtml, IIS etc.
    5) There was substantial XHTML, VB and Modern UI stuff that is missing from educational materials. The exam hit me with some REAL obscure details on these. So you're need to read up on those from the web, I failed those completely I am sure.
    6) The Microsoft Virtual academy stuff was helpful. A good review I would say.

Overall I would say the test is a 2 out of 5 in level of challenge.

I would say too hard for the material Microsoft recommends. I am leaving this exam highly critical of the Microsoft MTA program. For years I defended Microsoft (and Cisco) education as more than just revenue streams for them. With this exam behind me, I would say my opinion is starting to change. I recommend against this exam for anyone.
    -Daniel