Options

Experience of the 70-270.

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've been planning to take this exam for a while and had already purchased both the MS Press book and Sybex. I finally got into studying for it the weekend before last. I only read a small portion of Sybex before deciding I wanted nothing to do with it. I moved on to MS Press, which is, for the most part, well written. Though I do get irritated when there are grammatical, spelling, and just outright wrong information in a book. I stuck with MS Press because I am not loaded with money and can't afford every book about the 70-270, it was the lesser of two evils. I was also lucky enough to do a bit of computer based training, which helped.

When I thought I was about ready to take the test I, like most people, started to do practice tests. I wasn't about to spend the little money I had on practice tests I wasn't sure were good, and couldn't scrap together the cost of a Transcender, free and demo exams were my only answer. Time after time I recieved 60th percentile, never once moving into the 70s. I was a bit discourged, as you may be able to imagine. When reading the reasons why I failed I kept thinking it was the test that was wrong, not my answer. Many people probably have that reaction, and since my score was so consistent I assumed it really was my knowledge that was failing me, not the practice test, and I continued to study. This was probably 5 days after I started studying, many would probably say that was my problem, not enough time studying, but I disagree. I have a lot of time on my hands (which is probably why I can't afford anything), and I spent everyday studying. Eventually I decided to download the Transcender practice exam, which lo and behold, I received 80%. Though it was only a few questions, it made up my mind to try the real test anyway. I would have a second shot if I failed anyway, right?

I have an odd habit, or perhaps compulsion, to stay up the entire night before an exam. I also don't schedule my exams before hand, just purchase my voucher and use it the day of. So I convinced the testing center to let me take my test an hour after I called, which was when they were first opening up. When I got there the testing "room" turned out to actually be a testing closet, with an 8 year old computer in it which apparently couldn't handle a refresh rate above 50hz. The test went by like a breeze (except for that damn monitor screwing with my eyes), which made me a bit nervous, real tests shouldn't be that easy when your practice tests say you should fail miserably. I clicked the "Grade Test" button and heard the old beast next to me growling. Finally it decided to end the suspense and tell me that my answers would allow me to pass with a 905. Of course I was happy, but am rarely the type to jump for joy. I believe I was happier in the fact I was vindicated of the sub-standard scores that the previous pseudo tests had burdened me with.

So what was my point in writing this admittedly long narrative of my experience? One, make sure your testing computer isn't going to give you migraines with it's flickering, and two there are a lot of badly written practice tests, either cough up the money a decent one, or have studied enough to tell when free ones are just plain wrong and research any descrepancies, just to be sure.

PS. I never completely went through the test on here for some reason, so as far as I know it is perfectly accurate.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats!

I don't know who what's up with these test centers that shouldn't be test centers in the first place, but I often read and hear complaints about the computers. In know there isn't a lot of money in delivering cert exams, but considering the influence it can have, especially an old monitor, they should realize it's a serious test requiring professional equipment. I would email prometric/vue to inform them about it.
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Webmaster wrote:
    Congrats!

I don't know who what's up with these test centers that shouldn't be test centers in the first place, but I often read and hear complaints about the computers. In know there isn't a lot of money in delivering cert exams, but considering the influence it can have, especially an old monitor, they should realize it's a serious test requiring professional equipment. I would email prometric/vue to inform them about it.

The place I took my exam is actually a computer store but have a closet size room to take the test. Monitor is a 15" screen which is at least 5 years old. One would think that they could at least give a decent monitor considering that it's a computer hardware store. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Anyhow, I'm planning to take the server exam at this place again, and hope that I will not experience any system freezes like others had.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    dgtalhvkdgtalhvk Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your feedback on your experience with 70-270.

I too have been acheiving between 60-70% on practice exams (MeasureUp). I sit the exam in three weeks time, so I am quite anxious!

Good work on your result ! You're a MCP, congratulations! :)
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    congrats!

i've used preplogic and transcender.
    for the 270 i used preplogic, and it seemed fine.
    for the 290 i used preplogic, and i think the questions were alright but full of errors.
    the preplogic for 291 was appalling, just two sentence questions (compared to the exam's 2-3 paragraph ones) and hardly covered half the topics.

so for that one i got transcender, loved it, and am sticking with it.
    witty comment