Cyber IT roles for friend

FascistPenguinFascistPenguin Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, this most likely asked. I had a conversation with a mutual friend over lunch about cyber security field. He has his SSCP and Security +. He doesn't really care about learning more networking. He thinks he might want to go to the management side of Security. He has about two years of experience. Where should he go from here? He seemed confused about his potential roles and I had nothing to offer.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Given that network is of the utmost importance, it sounds like he doesn't care about technical stuff. He has GRC written all over him.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You still need to know SOMETHING about networks... Just like I need to know alittle about security as a sys admin/dba.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds perfect for management... if this were 1997. Hate to dash his dreams of the corner office but that's not likely to cut it with so many brand new Masters level degrees out there doing clerk type jobs.

- b/eads
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm going to echo what the others have said. A manager that doesn't understand a bit about the technical details of "what" something is will have a difficult time making good decisions. Especially since we're talking about security here ... how can you secure something if don't understand how it works?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To give him the benefit of the doubt here, how much does he already know about networking? If he's CCNP-level and just doesn't want to go down the networking path much further and focus his efforts somewhere else, then I understand. Also what does he have experience in?
  • FascistPenguinFascistPenguin Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe he is a NOC level 2. I would put his knowledge around a respected CCNA holder. I assume the better question is how much does one need in network knowledge for management.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    For the people he would supervise. I would be pissed if my manager didn't know squat about the network.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I think Cisco is a good path. There's that Cisco Cyber Security Analyst cert, which is new, and of course the traditonal CCNA/P Security paths, which are more technical. If he's looking for blue team, those are good routes. If straight management, maybe look into project management and eventually PMP.