Options

Virtual Lab Setup for MCSA 2012

Mack_XXIMack_XXI Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I am sitting for the 70-411 exam on October 22nd and I decided to re-establish a virtual lab for training purposes. Here's my current dilemma that I hope someone can shed some light on. Before when I created a virtual lab, I utilized virtual box and I would use pFSense for a virtual router to separate my home network from my lab network. Setting up the pFsense router is straight forward as I understand that it requires two NIC cards (one bridged and the other internal) so im good to go with that. I am also pretty sure I configured it correctly as it receives an IP address from my home network (WAN network for pFsense) and I setup a 192.168.21.1 LAN for the lab purpose. The issue I am having is when I get everything setup in my 2012 server and give it a static IP, it doesn't reach the internet. Could this be a firewall issue perhaps? DNS? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you are configuring the router to NAT the internal to the external IPs. I ran into this problem originally with my vyos setup.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    Mack_XXIMack_XXI Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks poolmanjim. I'll give that a shot, but when I had it working before, I had to at least use Bridged for the pfsense router so that it would receive internet from my physical workstation first, then use the internal network setup of my choosing. I am going to look into the the firewall settings of my server now and maybe see if that is causing a conflict.