Options

How does eCPPT cert stack up in the world of security certs?

So I am entertaining a thought to go for eLearnSecurity Junior Pen Tester and later for their eCPPT cert. I wonder how well do their certs stack up in the world of security certifications?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not that high, I wouldn't go after it if your looking to impress HR and get passed them. Good for learning the pen testing process and methodology though.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with NetworkNewb. I've had 2 pentester interviews in the past year and on both occasions they didn't know eLearnSecurity existed.
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doesn't matter. You do eCPPT for the training and the knowledge gained. That can get you to do well in an interview and in pursuit of a better known certs such as GPEN or OSCP. Your ROI with eLearnSecurity is in what you've learned and how that sets you up for the future.
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    See, this is why you always should go for CEH.

(::runs and hides::)
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

**murder**
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    cyberguypr wrote: »

We are talking about Certified Ethical Hacker? Lol, the day when their website got hacked and passport information of some military personell got stolen and the ridicule that ensued is unforgettable.
  • Options
    supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The return from the course is pretty great. I feel more informed and better training on how to do the work that it takes to do a PenTest (read: eternal student life). You will not lost money doing it and if you want some actual hands on skill you will get it with modern tools. I went to a job interview and got my butt handed to me because I thought I had myself ready since I was already deeply studying the CEH and about to take it. I didn't know real deal things to get my through the interview. After that I dropped pursing the CEH and went with the eJPT and I really got myself in with some real information. I am coming from the side of having my CISSP (so I'd pass HR) but in skill-wise I highly suggest doing the ELS courses. If you have skills already and just want the challenge and name recognition, go with the OSCP.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Kalabaster wrote: »
    **murder**
    Hey guys, leave c|yberguypr alone.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So my GPEN class is in two weeks. I had tentatively planned on OSCP after that. Now I'm thinking GPEN->eJPT->eCPPT->OSCP would be the more developmental route.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When contemplating the field of pentesting or any specialty, you have to come to the conclusion you will need to certify yourself by multiple vendors.

eLearnsecurity in my opinion has always had good content with labs for practice and will help you in starting your journey. The certs require a live pentest. The downside is that the company is new and word is still getting out. So that means not many in the field will know about the company until they start getting booths at major events. They just moved to Silicon valley so it is only a matter of time.

CEH is also a good primer for starting out an ethical hacking career. CEH is just an entry level cert and has entry level topics. The information you learn is good stuff for entry level. There is no lab for test taking, but uninformed people do not understand you have to take a course in order to take the test to be eligible. This course runs heavily into labbing. Eligibility is either by taking official course or have more than 2 years experience in their domains. So not sure why people think there is no labs involved when studying for this cert. Either you run into labs from course work or you run your own labs as an experienced ethical hacker showing proficiency and eligibility in their domains.
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html

Anyway this isn't a "who's better" comment between vendors. You would be illinformed to believe CEH would not help you in your journey. Get the HR certs to get your resume looked at. Then employers will see your other certs such as elearn and offensive security which are for your technical background. Cover both bases that is all I am saying

two cents
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The eJPT has really helped me out in getting a start and a basic understanding of Pentesting/Vulnerability tools and methods. Now I'm on to the eCPPT with a few others on the forums and it's going slow. There's a lot to learn but anyways, eLearnSecurity has great stuff and it's gaining traction. When they had the eCPPT cert out a while back, I checked for that certification on Indeed and other job search sites and I found nothing. Now there will be a few hits.

I honestly believe that the path, eJPT > eCPPT > OSCP is a good path to follow down for someone who is new to Pentesting certifications that are hands on. As far as stacking up against other certifications, it's hard to say because the certification is a different group... Not management and Auditing. It'll take time for the eCPPT to catch on and that's okay. Having a cert from ELS will force the right people to be curious and look up the information. It's personally happened to me before.. When I went to an interview and I had the CCENT, the interviewer had to see what that was.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe that in time, eLearnSecurity will become a more recognized name. Their content is solid and based on hand-ons exercises. In time they will become vetted by the community and will gain more popularity. Just because they are not super well known yet does not mean their content is lacking. Will the course by itself teach you everything you need to know? No, it will not. What it will do however is provide you with a solid foundation and contribute nicely to your overall skill set.

I intend to take the OSCP next and I think this course will set me well on my way to passing that challenge.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only thing i'll add here is that someone mentioned the eJPT after GPEN, not necessary. Don't waste the money and time, the material is good no doubt, but just take the eCCPT.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen more pen-testing roles mention OSCP followed by eCPPT and then GPEN. I don't see eJPT at all in my region.

As hated as it is by the tech guys, CEH is very popular with HR and looks good on the CV. My former colleague went into pen testing via the CEH -> OSCP route and is doing pretty well for himself.

I prefer GCIH over CEH, but guess which one gets more results from a LinkedIn search :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS