Options

Resume Review Request

RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've recently relocated and am unemployed (-1 against me already). I don't seem to have the "right blend" of skills for any of the jobs I'm applying for. I thought my resume was decent. I'm 9 years into my career. Have I something that needs improved?You may ask "well, what are you applying for?" to which I respond:Thank you
Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get rid of other activities. Get rid of the bullets. Just write a few sentences of what you did (for each position).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Get rid of other activities. Get rid of the bullets. Just write a few sentences of what you did.

I hit the rep button, but in case that doesn't pop up - thank you for the response.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are your certifications still valid? The ISACA CISM requires it to be renewed every three years, I would put in what date they are valid to.

"Certifications & Exams", I would get rid of "& Exams".
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used to be a huge bullet fan, now I am only a fan of bullets if only posted after a summary write up after your job title dates etc......

XYZ Manager | BIG COMPANY 2010 - 2016
    Write up here, several sentences
    bullets to follow if it makes sense or you could stay with the paragraph approach after the heading. Just my two cents.

**** the activities unless you know for 100% fact they tie into the culture, hiring manager etc.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Are your certifications still valid? The ISACA CISM requires it to be renewed every three years, I would put in what date they are valid to.

"Certifications & Exams", I would get rid of "& Exams".

Good point, the CISM just got approved which is why I had it as "passed exam" previously, I didn't update that. Thanks!
  • Options
    Get rid of the bullets!
  • Options
    Get rid of the bullets!

So you're saying instead of breaking accomplishments out from the summary, just put them into sentences combined with the summary? Or exclude that type of information? I'm trying to understand how to not use bullets and not end up with an essay-looking resume. I appreciate the help! I've only reviewed resumes of applicants once.
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Do you have a cover letter? If possible always include a cover letter.
  • Options
    So you're saying instead of breaking accomplishments out from the summary, just put them into sentences combined with the summary? Or exclude that type of information? I'm trying to understand how to not use bullets and not end up with an essay-looking resume. I appreciate the help! I've only reviewed resumes of applicants once.
    Just a few sentences of what you accomplished at each job. You can place a 'summary' in your cover letter or the thank you note after the interview.