Options

Pay vs Experience?

ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I'm in a dilemma right now trying to choose if I should stay with my current company or take a position that was just offered to me.

I'm currently working for a Cloud Service Provider. The company is small, but they have a lot of high-level technologies. We have a help desk, a small group of engineers and a developer. To put in perspective, the company recently became a Microsoft certified re-seller selling Office365 and Azure products.

I recently hit my year mark here. Because the company is so small, I've been able to get my hands in on many different technologies. When I first started, the owner took a chance on me. Other than messing around with my home computer, I had no IT experience. A year later, I now do things like build servers in VMWare, configure switches and Dell Sonicwalls, and administer Active Directory and Exchange to our customers. That being said, because the company is so small, the pay is also small - "few dollars more than California's minimum wage" small.

I recently got offered a new position working for the IT department at a mortgage company. The pay is significantly larger. The only real thing that is offsetting to me about this position is that the technology won't be there. I'd be doing tier 1/2 troubleshooting for internal employees like setting up email, installing a printer, and maybe some light AD and Exchange administration. But unlike the CSP where they are solely based on technology, the mortgage company's IT department is small and there looks to be lots of advancement here, possibly to systems administrator.

What would you do? Stay with the current company making low pay, but getting lots of experience in different technologies, or take the new position for a significantly higher pay?
2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can't say not in your situation.

Wish I could to be honest, I wouldn't just follow the money though. Don't get me wrong there is a minimum threshold that has to be met and if that isn't being met I would at least interview for the position and possibly even take the position even if the technologies aren't as "cutting edge". But...... That's not as important to me. Environment, days off, work life balance, commute, work from home, pay are all more important to me than technology.

But that list may stack out differently in your opinion.

Good luck in your decision!
  • Options
    john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was in a very similar position a little over a year ago! I worked for an internal MSP (company IT that serviced all national offices). I was working for a really low salary but I had no IT experience coming in. Boss took a chance on me, I was able to touch every technology and work on anything I could handle. Of course the low wage was hurting my current situation at the time so I did decide to leave, it was a shame because I did enjoy my work and I really liked my coworkers.

I would say, if money is an issue for your current situation and you can't afford working there anymore then do look for something else. Depending on how bad your situation is, if you can wait to look for a better position and not have to take a step down then doing that would be the best option, in my opinion.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Depending where you live, I would stay with the CSP to learn more, and then interview for a bigger company that would pay more but also offer other technologies to continue your professional growth. Don't just follow the money. Chase the technology if possible for you financially.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stay with the cloud service provider. One more year of experience and you will be able to command a better position and better salary somewhere else. Not sure how old you are but if i had to guess you are probably young, you will be able to make the money later.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stay where you are, for now. Have you asked for a raise? If not, do so.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd go find a new job that offers higher pay and latest technology.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stay another year if money isn't an issue right now for you.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    @1 year mark...and being new...its a good time to take a new job. Also consider real estate is reaching 2007/2008 price levels again. The real estate business might take a huge correction in the next 1-5 years.

Most employers do not value their employees...most. My advice is cert up, invest in yourself, and find new opportunities.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say stay as long as you can afford to. The opportunity to gain experience both wide and deep is uncommon so if you can afford to stay, I think it will pay off later if you do. Consider it being paid part in cash, part in training and as soon as you stop learning, head off.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dave330i wrote: »
    I'd go find a new job that offers higher pay and latest technology.

Same here. Keep looking. You can find the money and tech you want if you're patient and good at what you do.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stay another year if money isn't an issue right now for you.

I concur, if things do not work out with your new employer, you'll have a tough time landing another job with only a year experience. I would stay at least two or three years, before thinking of moving on. The experience your getting now is invaluable, most entry level positions, you'll get pigeonholed working on one aspect of IT. The benefit of working in a small shop you get exposure to lot of different technologies, it makes for a better rounded IT employee in the future. While large companies pay more, roles are clearly defined, for example if you work on Network switches, your not allowed to touch servers, IPS, IDS or firewalls.
    ps.89 wrote: »
    I'd be doing tier 1/2 troubleshooting for internal employees like setting up email, installing a printer, and maybe some light AD and Exchange administration.

So you'll be working help desk. Help desk can be a stepping stone to a brighter IT future, or soul crushing job for life none escape. If you have a job where you can potentially skip the help desk trap, I would keep it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Experience is part of the payment IMO, specially for newbies, you could make more money in the other job but in the shortterm, in the mid term you will be another guy looking to get out of the help desk field, while you are already out of there in your current role, kepp studying, keep learning and move on when is time for a lot more money while keeping the same experience(or better) and hands on projects/taks/duties that will keep you as a top notch engineer/manager for some time.

Also if you make a lot of money as a help desk with little experience in other things, when you want to move to a different type of role/job within IT field off course, it will be harder to find a better paying job that offers good experience/challenges that will keep you motivated.

Even for more money, at that stage of your career i would never ever move to a glorified help desk position while alreadly working as engineer. Unless is a decision of: i need the extra money to pay for the medicines of my mother and son otherwise they will die.

At the end of the day is up to you, look at the big picture and think in the long term of your career, where you want to be, what you want to be doing in a couple of years/5 years/10 years.