Options

Completed CISSP, starting ISSMP study

lowresolutionlowresolution Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings,

I recently completed my CISSP certification. I decided to now start working on a concentration, and selected the ISSMP. I purchased the ISSMP CBK and have started working through that.

I'm wondering if anyone who has attempted/completed ISSMP can offer some advice on how to prepare for this test. The resources for ISSMP seem far more scarce than that for CISSP (not surprising of course).

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    I am using them ISACA CISM study materials, and the ISACA CISM practice exams for the ISSMP. (In addition to the ISSMP CBK.)

The ISSMP and CISM are almost the same when it comes to subjects that they cover. I've been told by a few people that have both the CISM and the ISSMP that is the method they used.
  • Options
    TankerT wrote: »
    I am using them ISACA CISM study materials, and the ISACA CISM practice exams for the ISSMP. (In addition to the ISSMP CBK.)

The ISSMP and CISM are almost the same when it comes to subjects that they cover. I've been told by a few people that have both the CISM and the ISSMP that is the method they used.

Thanks Tanker. Doing some searching around here showed that as well. I have 90 days of CCCure left, so I can get to their CISM tests. It looks like Cybrary has a CISM lesson set with the oh so famous Kelly Handerhan.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options

I'm working through the cybrary CISM videos. The first big chunk so far has been basically review from CISSP...
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mind if I ask why you chose the CISSP-ISSMP? I thought about it earlier in the year and discounted it. Doesn't seen to get any mention on job boards, and I wasn't sure how much useful stuff you learn in the study process. Have you learned a lot of useful stuff?
  • Options
    Mind if I ask why you chose the CISSP-ISSMP? I thought about it earlier in the year and discounted it. Doesn't seen to get any mention on job boards, and I wasn't sure how much useful stuff you learn in the study process. Have you learned a lot of useful stuff?

I've just started the studying this week, so far it's mostly been review. I chose ISSMP because the Sec Mgmt route is of interest to me, and it's material I can actively use in my workplace.
  • Options
    CybershinobiCybershinobi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just started the studying this week, so far it's mostly been review. I chose ISSMP because the Sec Mgmt route is of interest to me, and it's material I can actively use in my workplace.

May I ask if you plan on using any other books to study for the exam? I'm not seeing any other books for this exam.

Thanks!
  • Options
    May I ask if you plan on using any other books to study for the exam? I'm not seeing any other books for this exam.

Thanks!

In addition to the Cybrary videos for CISM, I also have the ISSMP CBK book. I plan to read that through. I also plan to practice CISM test questions on CCCure.
  • Options
    In addition to the Cybrary videos for CISM, I also have the ISSMP CBK book. I plan to read that through. I also plan to practice CISM test questions on CCCure.

And, if you pass the ISSMP, just register for the next CISM exam...
  • Options
    And, if you pass the ISSMP, just register for the next CISM exam...

Any idea how deep the ISSMP goes? Is it just as deep as the CISM? So far all of the content in Cybrary vids is repeat from CISSP study. I will say that I walked out of my CISSP feeling like I had significantly over-prepared for it. Perhaps I'm more prepared for these than I think.

I do like the idea of doing CISM after ISSMP, my only hesitation is that it's more AMFs and CPEs to deal with
  • Options
    CCCure only has 95 CISM questions available. I just did their testing without much more research and scored 82%.
  • Options
    CCCure only has 95 CISM questions available. I just did their testing without much more research and scored 82%.

I am using the ISACA CISM test bank. LOTS of questions.
  • Options
    Any idea how deep the ISSMP goes? Is it just as deep as the CISM? So far all of the content in Cybrary vids is repeat from CISSP study. I will say that I walked out of my CISSP feeling like I had significantly over-prepared for it. Perhaps I'm more prepared for these than I think.

I do like the idea of doing CISM after ISSMP, my only hesitation is that it's more AMFs and CPEs to deal with

The CPEs can pretty much be the same. They really overlap with the CPEs you are doing for the CISSP. So, really it is mostly the AMFs...
  • Options
    The CPEs can pretty much be the same. They really overlap with the CPEs you are doing for the CISSP. So, really it is mostly the AMFs...

I'll have to look into the AMFs for ISACA and decide if I want to take them on. I think it's a good idea to explore CISM though, especially if I'm going to be primed and ready.
  • Options
    rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    See my thread here

It is a bit different to CISM and CISSP and if you just rely on the book you may struggle it does not cover everything unlike the CISSP material.
  • Options
    rob1234 wrote: »
    See my thread here

It is a bit different to CISM and CISSP and if you just rely on the book you may struggle it does not cover everything unlike the CISSP material.

Thanks Rob. I picked up your thread during a search on the site and found it helpful.

In your opinion, sharing only what you can, do you feel the test is more of a deep dive than CISSP?
  • Options
    rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Thanks Rob. I picked up your thread during a search on the site and found it helpful.

In your opinion, sharing only what you can, do you feel the test is more of a deep dive than CISSP?

Yes but as it is only a deep dive in to one section rather than all 10 domains I found it easier to study for, and I would not say it is really deep but just more focused on one area than the CISSP which tries to cover a lot.