Options

A guide I am following to make big bucks.

Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGuSMui3ohQ

Watch the first 15 minutes.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And I'm assuming by "make big bucks" your talking about making youtube videos with titles saying you have a way for people to make a lot money, and then state obvious things even though you don't know anything about them?

Maybe we should make one called "Step by Step Game Plan on how to become a doctor". Then just make a video telling people to go to Medical school... thoughts?
  • Options
    Nah man I mean get your CCNA and the path he lays out there. It makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Right, it does make sense, get a bunch of networking certs and then get a job in networking. Not a bad plan.

Get a PhD and get a job as a doctor. I'm starting to think I should make some youtube videos.... I don't have a cool accent like he does though. Probably wouldn't do as well.
  • Options
    With there being so many certifications out there it's a good thing he laid out which ones are best to get.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    It's quite interesting to watch this video. I'm not sure I agree with it completely, whilst getting the server qualifications and the network qualifications are a great idea - I am a strong believer in doing what you love and enjoy.

If you love security, go do security and you will not only be happy with your "job" but you will most likely be more successful as you're doing what you enjoy. Well, that's my view anyway :)

It's also important to note that certifications are just HR filters. If you don't know the content and brain **** it or you don't know how to apply the content to "the real world" it makes it quite difficult to justify.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    That guy says all the right words to qualify his videos as infomercials for bullshit online videos.
    He reminded me of the guy that was selling Oxy Clean on TV.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just watched the video and what I got out of it was to make a plan an execute it. He says once you get into a I.T. job every 6-8 weeks complete a new exam which isn't a bad idea it definitely will make you much more marketable.
  • Options
    I can't decide between System Admin or Network Admin. I get Network Admins configure routers, switches, TCP/IP settings... System Admin works with Active Directory, Group Policy, and more with users.

I Really dunno. My heart says System Admin and my head says Network admin. Its a battle till the end!
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly it's not a bad goal to have. But like so many people say here, certs aren't everything. I don't see anything wrong with following the plan as long as you're complementing it with the normal stuff you have to do to get a job.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I basically did the same plan but you do need the CompTIA certs for the base knowledge.

My road.

A+, Net+, Sec+=$17.50/hr
    A+, Net+, Sec+, added CCNA= $30/hr
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, added CCNA:S, CCNP=$43/hr
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I hold just a sec+, that's it. I make right under 60k. I do have 8 years IT experience...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wouldn't be nice if you just developed killer real world skills that employers want and measure to propel your career to "big bucks"? I mean what do certs really tell me outside of the fact that you can pass a test, likely forgot any knowledge you have now and no ability to transfer said skills to the work environment?

That's what doing a cert every 6-8 weeks tells me. I can start a book on Friday, cram all weekend and pass the test on Monday morning and forget everything by the following Friday. So? Doesn't help me when I sit down at the comp and try to do anything measurable, does it?

This person gives certification the black eye it proudly displays on daily basis.

- b/eads
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Wouldn't be nice if you just developed killer real world skills that employers want and measure to propel your career to "big bucks"? I mean what do certs really tell me outside of the fact that you can pass a test, likely forgot any knowledge you have now and no ability to transfer said skills to the work environment?

That's what doing a cert every 6-8 weeks tells me. I can start a book on Friday, cram all weekend and pass the test on Monday morning and forget everything by the following Friday. So? Doesn't help me when I sit down at the comp and try to do anything measurable, does it?

This person gives certification the black eye it proudly displays on daily basis.

- b/eads

I agree with this statement. I truly didn't understand Sec+ until 5 years later after I have been working in the field I picked up the book and read it again. I bet money if you gave a person who passed the CCNA in 6 weeks a basic task of upgrading the image on a Cisco device that they couldn't do it. Now spend 6 weeks as a Network Engineer intern and you will know 10 times the amount of stuff then just having a paper cert.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Does he have a booger in his left nostril?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    beads wrote: »
    Wouldn't be nice if you just developed killer real world skills that employers want and measure to propel your career to "big bucks"?

Yes, that would be nice. Even having employers that actually knew what they actually needed would be a good start.

I think the message for anyone wanting to work in IT is still the same: education + certifications + experience. Education to get a good base and understanding of the fundamentals and theory, certification to demonstrate a baseline understanding of specific technologies, and experience to show that you have real world skills to get the job done.

I've been someone who was working with just experience and no formal training, and I know that there is a definite benefit in getting formalised training/education/certification just in terms of how well you can do your job. For example, some thing like understanding the OSI model makes network troubleshooting a lot easier. And you notice the difference when talking to other people who do/don't have qualifications (outside of years of experience).

I understand the problem for those starting out, the old "experience required" catch-22. Certifications alone can help, but only to a point. Thinking "If one cert gets me 15/hour, and 2 gets me 20/hour, then if I get 14 I'll be a millionaire", is tempting but ultimately false.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Didn't watch but there's no shortcuts in life mostly. There's fast tracking which I think I am doing, but there's no easy way to get paid well.

AS, AAS degree, A+, Net+ - $17/hr
    Above + MCP + 6 months experience, - $36500/yr
    Above + CCNA RS + 1 year total experience - $56k/yr + 10% bonus
    Above + BS degree, CCNA Security, CCDA, CCNP, Security +, Linux +, Project + almost 3 years total experience - ?????? Will tell you when I get a new job or promoted lol. Hopefully 80k+ within a year.

So sure, fast tracking can happen but time has to pass for experience to be gained. I'll tell you right now, the network engineer jobs that pay 80-100k in my area all want 5 years experience (mostly as a network engineer I am guessing) and I applied to a couple but no one called. One specifically said the skill set + credentials were great, but they were 100% firm on the 5 years. I'm sure not everyone is like that, but that company was and what can you do in that case? Nothing but wait for time to pass.

I see an ad all the time saying the average CCNP salary is 85k. That's a good salary, but just getting the cert doesn't get you paid. I live in a competitive area as well. Have to have the experience too. Someone with a CCNA + 5 years experience probably makes more than someone with 6-12 months experience and a CCNP 9/10 times.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    I agree with this statement. I truly didn't understand Sec+ until 5 years later after I have been working in the field I picked up the book and read it again. I bet money if you gave a person who passed the CCNA in 6 weeks a basic task of upgrading the image on a Cisco device that they couldn't do it. Now spend 6 weeks as a Network Engineer intern and you will know 10 times the amount of stuff then just having a paper cert.

This is funny because one of the first things I had to do when I started my first network engineer job in April 2015 was to update the IOS across the board. Lol, was so clueless. Definitely screwed up a switch stack and had no idea what it was. Terminal server saved the day, which I again had no idea what that was but thankfully it was there and my boss helped me.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry, but this thread title tickled me quite a bit. Pro tip: don't chase money. It's not worth it. Trust me, I have been there. It is not fun.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this thread title tickled me quite a bit. Pro tip: don't chase money. It's not worth it. Trust me, I have been there. It is not fun.

What he said. Dont change your passion for money, do the time and go the distance instead, you will get more satisfaction and rhe money will follow.