Options

Network+ or MCP?

rainman03rainman03 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Right now I'm ready to start studying for an exam, but which one is where i'm debating. I'm A+ certified, and I'm going to try for my MCP, MCSA, and MCSE before August.

With that path, which would be better to study for and take, my Network+ or my MCP? I'm not sure which one would look better once i'm at the MCSE level, and I dont want to invest valuable time studying for something that wont amount to much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, the A+ and Network+ combined are accepted as a single MCSA or MCSE elective by Microsoft, so that's one good reason to go for Network+ first. Plus Network+ is for life and provides a solid foundation for the networking topics in MCSA/E.
  • Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good advice. I did not pass 70-270 a month ago and part of the reason is because I didnt have my networking and security down. Now that im into net+ I can see that MS expects you to have this fundemental knowledge. Im not retrying the XP exam until I have network and security +. Both of these certifications can be used towards electives for MCSA and MCSE

I also didnt give my best effort and ignored some advice around here. I got my A+ with a reasonable effort but the MS exam was more difficult.
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    IMHO I would go for Network+ as this will hold you in good stead for future MCSA/MCSE exams, and net+ is an elective, along with A+ for the MCSA credential.

Net+ is vendor neutral, MCP is microsoft, however net + is a good foundation for the networking industry, and is well recognised as such, so you could start out as a Technician, Administrator user support etc with net+ and then go into the microsoft stuff after to increase your knowledge base and salay.
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"