Options

Linux Academy difficulty vs. Exam

QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
For anyone using LinuxAcademy.com

How do the exercises prepare you for the exam? I have trouble working through them without referencing material. Is this exam like Cisco where you have to do sims? Or is it over kill to master the exercises and I should move through the material more quickly?

I'd like to have this exam finished in two weeks tops. I have been studying for about a month.

Comments

• Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The LX0-103 and 104 exam are multiple choice and fill in the blanks. Sounds easy right? Because you've got a 1/4 chance of guessing the right answer. Well, what CompTIA do, is give you 4 very similar answers so you need to know your stuff inside out and back to front. I got 540/800 on my first attempt at the LX0-103 and passed (500 pass mark). I felt like I was better than that, but some of the questions were like this:

"How would you list files in a directory?"
    A) LS
    B) lS
    C) ls
    D) Ls

And whilst this is an easy question, it stops becoming easy when you've got approx 43% of questions about the command line. In real life, if you mis-type a command, you simply search online for the right command, use trial and error, or use the man/info page. In the Linux+ exam, you've got to try and hit the nail on the head first time.

Is 1 month enough time for study?? I'd personally say no - but - if you feel you're ready, go for it. I studied on and off for 5 months. I probably studied for a total of 2.5 months before I got the score of 540. The big problem for me was memorizing the commands. To put it into perspective, this is what CompTIA recommend before you take the Linux+ : "CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and 12 months of Linux admin experience" I personally don't have the A+, Network+ or 12 months of Linux experience. If I did have 12 months Linux experience, the exam would have been relatively easy. I don't think the A+ or Network+ really help with the Linux+ exam, it just shows that you know the format.

Sorry for this being a bit long-winded. If I was you, i'd study the commands a bit more so you're familiar with all the switches and get another week or two practice before booking in for the exam. That two weeks could literally the difference between a 490/800 (fail) and a 500/800 (pass).
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read your reply a few days ago and I have been meaning to reply. I wanted to say thank you! I'm still studying for the exam and probably will be a few more weeks before I go in to take it.
  • Options
    Andy from SactownAndy from Sactown Member Posts: 17 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I made a [trump]HUUUUUUGE[/trump] first post / new-thread that covered my experiences that apparently was blocked since I'm a new user (understandable), but I signed up for the free week of Linux Academy after having a number of other resources at my disposal and I must say it was very beneficial. Much better than everything else I had in terms of being comprehensive and in depth enough.

I too had the occasional difficulty not being to do what was asked of me without referencing the material. I a spent a lot of time forcing myself to think about it and not reference anything before resorting to that and I think it was for the best. Only one or two times did I have to throw my hands up and check, but the time spent trying to find the solution and trying the things I did know were valuable.
    cd /pub; more beer