Cert path

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work in telecommunications, troubleshooting all sorts of different phone systems. Is it best to get certified in the area you work in or where you would potentially like to be? For example my company is looking for people certified in Collaboration (something I'm interested in, but also have other interests) and basically any other path won't be of value to make me move up. So is it best to go with what will make you value to the company or get certified in something else, hoping to find a job somewhere else?

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fpso wrote: »
    I work in telecommunications, troubleshooting all sorts of different phone systems. Is it best to get certified in the area you work in or where you would potentially like to be? For example my company is looking for people certified in Collaboration (something I'm interested in, but also have other interests) and basically any other path won't be of value to make me move up. So is it best to go with what will make you value to the company or get certified in something else, hoping to find a job somewhere else?

So what are the other interests? If you like Voice you can leverage your current experience along with a cert and get promoted OR move on elsewhere where they'll reward your hard work. If your current company isn't going to pay you then you can be sure that someone else will. That's just how it works.

You will of course make less in another track if you have no experience with it. But if you like it better I'd always go with what you're more passionate about.
  • fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a lot of interests, I don't know where to go is the thing. Networking, Wireless, Security. Do I just choose one and stick with it? I'm sure you guys all were in this position at once, where you were excited with a bunch of different technologies. What was your deciding factor?
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fpso wrote: »
    I have a lot of interests, I don't know where to go is the thing. Networking, Wireless, Security. Do I just choose one and stick with it? I'm sure you guys all were in this position at once, where you were excited with a bunch of different technologies. What was your deciding factor?

Well I think everyone's story is different. I was all over the place. Began with the traditional CCENT->CCNA->CCNP R&S Route then I bounced around from CCIE R&S studies to CCNA/P SP and CCNA Sec ideas. After I got CCNA SP done I picked up CCNA Wireless due to work demands and just fell in love with it. We have a Cisco TAC contract but everyone on my team hates Wireless. Basically just a bunch of R&S/DC/SP guys(separate teams for Voice and Sec). Math/Physics/Wireless is like crack to me-- I love it. Was always good at it in HS/College but now I get paid $ for it, works for me. I'm 99% sure my first CCIE will be in Wireless.

If you are not sure I think you can't go wrong with R&S since it's so vanilla. If your work demands something and you can get experience in a track and get certified at the same time it's even better.