Options

Microsoft Certification required for job

MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
Hey guys,

So I have an offer for a job, they require me to have my security+ and any Microsoft certification before I can start.

Just passed network+ and will be taking Security+ mid November.

They're getting me my security clearance which is the best part.

I was going to do the MCSA Windows 10, but now since they just require a Microsoft cert and it doesn't have to be a specific one I was thinking about just doing an MTA, maybe Sec fundamentals or Server fundamentals since I feel I can just easily knock out one of those. I've also heard how much of a PITA the 70-697 is, so that makes me not want to take that.

Thoughts?

Are the MTA certs even worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe mta certs are already retired but i might be wrong. Check ms site and if its still available then you can get them to qualify their requirements

Edit: if they are, i recommend the 98-365
  • Options
    Was just on the site and they are still there. Since I have my Network+ think I could pass the 98-366 without studying at all? I literally just passed Network+ yesterday. Or since I'm studying for my Security+ now maybe I'll add in a little extra material and take the 98-367 on the same day as my Security+ so I can get two certs in one day.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a plan, sometimes less is more.....
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds like a plan to me you just finished your network +so all the base knowledge is still there.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah that make since, sound like a plan to me you already have the knowledge from studying the network+
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    greg you have both the 366 and 367?

How difficult would you say they are? From everything I have read they seem simple, I've read if you have net+ the 366 is cake and same with sec+ and the 367
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It is worth something if it is required for the job. I had to do that for my security + and my MTA. I took the database fundamentals cert test.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    nespowernespower Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From my experience, the Server part seems to be three parts, and the OS only one for the test. That may be incorrect, but that's how my classes have it divided up.
  • Options
    Well I only need to take one of the exams, probably do the security one since security is where I want to end up.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be aware that you're supposed to be certified in the OS that you're working with. So if you're doing desktop support, and all the workstations are Windows 10, then you would need a Windows 10 cert. If it's a mix of Windows 7 and 10, then either would be fine, but it would be better to get Windows 10, since the Windows 7 machines will eventually be upgraded to 10.

It's also up to your company to make sure you have the right cert, so they may not be strict on it.... I'd call them and ask if MTAs are acceptable to them.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't count on an MTA. I know they said "any" Microsoft certification, but what they meant by "any" may not be quite what you are taking from it. I don't think any of the MTA exams count towards. If this is for the US, take a look at the DOD 8570. It requires specific security certifications and then calls to have whatever agency have vendor specific certifications for the products that they utilize. In my experience, you will be better suited with exams that are part of the MCP track (MTA exams are not).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely give the guy a call tomorrow and get the specifics. Don't want to get an MTA if it's going to be useless.
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're short on time, but i'd recommend something you may want to build on in the future like the 70-410 if you can. Understand the time crunch though.
  • Options
    There's really no rush, I have a good job right now. I mainly taking this one for the security clearance and it pays more. The sooner I have those certs though the sooner they start working on my security clearance. The job will be there for me, that has been promised and I know the guy personally so I know it'll be mine no matter what. That's why I was going to do the MCSA Windows 10 but I figured if an MTA works I could easily knock that out aligned with my Security+ and kill two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Ask them specifically what Microsoft Certification they want. For clearance base desktop support positions here in the DC/MD/VA area they require Security + CE and MS exam 70-680( Windows 7 ).
  • Options
    I live in VA so that's good to know. Texted him, just waiting on a call so I can get some clarification.