Options

Programming opportunity?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
I work in security and TBH one of my weak spots is programming and understanding it.

My org has an opportunity to attend some Java classes and I am wondering if I should take them up on it?

Would Java be helpful in a sec career?

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The hardest language to learn is the first one. While Java itself might not be all that beneficial in and of itself, the training might be a good start in setting you on the path.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I will grab any learning opportunities coming in my way. :D
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would think python or powershell would be more useful but java isn't bad.

I would like to raise the point that like taking a foreign language in high school, if don't have an outlet where you will actively use your newly learned language you will quickly forget most of it making for a poor ROI. Food for thought.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I strongly agree with alias454. Take the opportunity, once you learn how to program in Java, learning other languages will be much easier (syntax differences and minor differences)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Take the opportunity!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do it.

Java is quite useful for security. Not because you need Java itself for it (Python or a C++ derivative is probably more useful), but because anything big and enterprise tends to run on Java. And anything more complex than Tomcat has pretty complex configuration requirements.

Understanding Java will help you understand enterprise applications.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, understanding the fundamentals of programming will be invaluable to you. You'll better understand what error messages like 'object reference not set to an instance of an object' mean, for one.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, understanding the fundamentals of programming will be invaluable to you. You'll better understand what error messages like 'object reference not set to an instance of an object' mean, for one.

Init your variables bro and put in "If x is not null" checks.