Options

Please review resume - looking to move on

masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I am currently a Network Analyst at a Primary Care Facility south of Boston. I am in the job market sending my resume for the past 2 weeks. I am so ready to move on since there is no growth within the company that I work for. I feel that I have so much potential and its being wasted.

I am working towards my M.S. IT at UMass Lowell (online) to get further knowledge in the field.

I was wondering if anyone could review my resume and tell me what you think.

Also, if you know someone or if you looking for a candidate, please let me know. I am planning on moving to Boston sooner than later, which I believe it will help in my career growth.

Thank you in advance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwCB_oWbwg1UcnZsZmpXVVplb2VmYzhjV2hUS3U0YW9femJN/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looks pretty clean to me. I like the education part down lower and the experience up higher. You aren't a green bean show off that work experience.

Heading

Summary

Work Experience

Etc.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks pretty clean to me. I like the education part down lower and the experience up higher. You aren't a green bean show off that work experience.

Heading

Summary

Work Experience

Etc.

Same here. The only reason I would put education higher is if I lack experience. But if you have solid experience that should be first imo.

For most people REAL WORLD aka INDUSTRY(not your home lab) experience is greater than education and or certs.
  • Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks good. Might want to fix the MSCA misspelling.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep, move education below experience. List the scheduled date for your CCNA exam but if it's more than a month away, take the CCNA off entirely. I personally immediately round-file resumes that include certs people are in-process with unless that's right around the corner.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Yep, move education below experience. List the scheduled date for your CCNA exam but if it's more than a month away, take the CCNA off entirely. I personally immediately round-file resumes that include certs people are in-process with unless that's right around the corner.
    Agreed. Even if it's around the corner it could be seen as a cheap way to get a cert you don't have on the resume. Based on all feedback from managers that I've gathered is to never do this and the CCIE Written shenanigans.

OP: Boston is a great tech area so you should have no issues there. I hope you like public transportation because driving and parking is a nightmare in the city.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also agreed with reordering. I'd remove the summary and save that for the CV. Then I'd do skills but remove things like HTML and CSS-- no one will care. Instead I'd get some protocols in there. Do you know OSPF? Get that on there. Once you finish CCNA get things like EIGRP STP and the FHRPs on there. You actually want them to lift stuff like that off your resume in an interview to showcase knowledge. Get anything you are not willing to talk about off the resume.

Then right after skills I'd do experience and then education and then certs last. One you finish CCNA you can headline with CCNA.
  • Options
    darkestclowndarkestclown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, One other small thing is the formatting. If the bullet point sentence goes into a second line, tab it so that the word is beneath the top line sentence beginning. If you do anything new or get a new certification update your CV immediately. Also add a Linkedin Profile if you have one. HTH.
  • Options
    Will do as suggested. Thank you all for the feedback I appreciate it
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, I would suggest you take off your address...it's not needed on resumes anymore...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    Also, I would suggest you take off your address...it's not needed on resumes anymore...

Not only is it not needed, it's discouraged. It can be used as discrimination if you are from a low income area. Not saying you are because I have no idea where you are from, but that is the general rule.
  • Options
    Good advice that I have not thought about. Thank you all!