Options

Failed 100-105 Exam :(

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, this was my first ever Cisco exam. Scored a 556/832, and mid-way through the exam, the computer crashed and I had to wait 5 minutes (thankfully, my exam results weren't lost...phew). Basically, I need to work on everything:

Network Fundamentals: 0%
LAN Switching Fundamentals: 44%
Routing Fundamentals: 47%
Infrastructure Services: 44%
Infrastructure Maintenance: 50%

Going to take 2 weeks off from studying to recover, then try it again in 2-3 months.
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What did you use to study for this?
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Odoms book and Chris Bryants videos on Udemy. I also used Boson for practice tests.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    I would try employing some active reading strategies. Take notes for sure and also try to come up with questions as you read.

You need a new study strategy because lets face it the score is way off from passing. You don't want to fail again so change how you study.

I think relying too much on videos is a mistake many people make. You should know Odom like the back of your hand then you're ready. Maybe pick up Lammle too
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did you use packet tracer? My suggestion would be to read everything, take notes, explain things to yourself and do labs until you can do them without the book or notes. Then go take the exam.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would highly recommend Todd Lammle's books. I found him fun and easy to read.
  • Options
    iproute.seiproute.se Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You really need to focus on the fundamentals as everything builds upon that, see it as a pyramid. It may be the most boring topics but the most important. And also as someone suggested, active reading is highly recommended. Create your own questions/flashcards and review them regurlary during your study process. Anki is a great app for that. You can find some great tips here
    https://www.supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    One should only need to view Jeremy Cioara (cbt nuggets) and use Todd Lammle's book.
    Theres plenty of filler topic videos on youtube from other free channels to supplement you.

Maybe its Chris Bryant's boring voice and constant reading off a OneNote page.
    Or maybe its Wendell Odom's dry text material and book of fluff.

This is the one time I would mention considering different sources.

If there's any topic thats hurting you, let me know. Subnetting, OSI, VLSM, Cable Types.
    Happy to help. Thats what TE is :)

Try and use their 7 Day trial to see how fun it is to learn with CBT Nuggets.
    Make sure you write notes as part of your study. even if you never use the notes again to review, it does something to your brain by translating your thoughts and memory to writing. a way of solidifying.

Also, you may not need to lab much but it is highly recommended that you master what you have to learn for ICND1. ICND2 has a lot more lab and more concepts.

ps. when I need a refresher on CCNA - Cisco CCNA Labs: Cisco for the Real World

good luck
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    You can never have too many resources. If you can afford it then get them all and see which you like better. I used Jeremy's and Chris' videos for review. Jeremy has good content but tries to be funny too many times I think. Chris has a thick southern accent but the content is good too--I mainly listened to him when driving.
  • Options
    Uriah7Uriah7 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I just finished the exam today, and it was difficult for me. Honesty, the way the exam was administered was most frustrating to me. Now that you know what the administration style of the exam is, you can focus on the material.

I used Lammle's 100-105 book and the practice exams that come with it (you have to register for the practice exams on the sybex website after getting the book). It also comes with 1 month of ITProTV.com which has video instruction from Lammle on each topic. His videos were a huge help and highly suggest you follow his videos while studying the corresponding material in the book. Also, l suggest you not take a long break. Don't let that 2 weeks grow into a month. You can do this!
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe its Chris Bryant's boring voice and constant reading off a OneNote page...

lol
    He's almost as bad as Joe Buck...

Also, OP should have complained about the computer crash and asked for a voucher.